Sign in to follow this  
notsodeepblue

Interesting rib-garland video

I found this interesting and thought I would post this here, in case anyone had missed it:

As part of this Youtube channel, there is a fascinating video showing rib-garland construction without use of an inside form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4N5E8F5W64

The channel appears to be a research output from an interesting-sounding PhD being undertaken at University College Ghent, which is described at this page.  

Interesting indeed...  great job on the video..   (almost makes me want to give it a go..)  almost !    well done and gives me some more appreciation for this style of build.

Perhaps I'm appearing to be a "grumpy old man" here(although I do qualify as I am 81) but I fail to see any distinct advantages resulting from the use of this building process. In fact, I can see many areas where the possibility for errors is much greater than utilizing either inside or outside molds. Building on a board(sans mold) was sometimes used by early viol makers.

I'm curious about the space left between the rib joint at the endpin.  It looks like that space was filled with an ebony piece on the cello. 
Does anyone know what the purpose of this was?
I have a violin with an ebony diamond shape in that area.  I always assumed it was purely decorative. 

3 hours ago, violguy said:

Perhaps I'm appearing to be a "grumpy old man" here(although I do qualify as I am 81) but I fail to see any distinct advantages resulting from the use of this building process. In fact, I can see many areas where the possibility for errors is much greater than utilizing either inside or outside molds. Building on a board(sans mold) was sometimes used by early viol makers.

Perhaps so, but in the accompanying text, he explains he is recreating an old method. Accuracy didn't seem to be at the top of the list for many of the old makers.

It's always interesting to see other approaches, and the end result.

23 minutes ago, Wee B. Bridges said:

Wore me out just jumping through the video.

I fail to  see the point in this laborious  iconoclastic method. maybe I missed something. ;)

My thoughts exactly!

1 hour ago, Wee B. Bridges said:

Wore me out just jumping through the video.

I fail to  see the point in this laborious  iconoclastic method. maybe I missed something. ;)

call me crazy but i rather like watching people work