Maestronet Forums

So what is this junk I've just bought?

Byrdbop

I live above an auction house so buy a lot of rubbish I don't need.  Long story but I actually bought this and a German Cello bow out of politeness.  Check out the f-hole notch alignment!  At least it should amuse. 

At best could this be an amateur English 3/4 size violin and therefore have a smidgen of folk culture appeal?   It has no bassbar btw not that one would add anything.   I quite like the colour of the back.  Included in the lot was an ACME plastic molded tailpiece which may be of interest to someone... enjoy!

JON_8841.jpg

JON_8843.JPG

JON_8835.JPG

JON_8829.JPG

JON_8854.JPG

JON_8833.JPG

JON_8837.JPG

JON_8849.JPG

JON_8861.JPG

JON_8839.JPG

The very worst quality violins from the cottage industry “markies” are by definition exceedingly rare. A museum quality example of the worst of the worst from a certain time and place. You need these around in order to display a spectrum of quality. Keep it proudly. Preserve history.

At least this is a fiddle sold for a few Groschen to enable a poor people's child to play the violin and made by other poor people obliged to produce so many instruments as possible within a certain time frame for the wholesaler (who usually was a millionaire). Nothing to be so amused about, and something what's not so very different today, is it?

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

At least this is a fiddle sold for a few Groschen to enable a poor people's child to play the violin and made by other poor people obliged to produce so many instruments as possible within a certain time frame for the wholesaler (who usually was a millionaire). Nothing to be so amused about, and something what's not so very different today, is it?

I love it really. It has a story to tell and somebody has played it a lot in the past.

With Byrdbop I strongly agree. You've got a classic early 1900s tavern fiddle there. This violin stuck around for a long time. It's a survivor. Heck, someone even took the time to trim the pegs flush. Wither through love of music and tradition or maybe someone knew how to get a special tone out of it.  Or maybe get a night of drinks out of it?

A good wipe-down with naphtha (but be not tempted to set it aflame).  Off with the dirt, repair a crack or two, maybe a new piece here and there, glue it up taut, make a perfect bridge, and string it up. I'd leave varnish out of the restoration. Looks heavy enough, with that thick fingerboard.

Too bad it is not a 4/4. Here are a couple rescues I did last year.

simsbury 1860.jpg

simsbury 1868.JPG

6 minutes ago, Woodman said:

With Byrdbop I strongly agree. You've got a classic early 1900s tavern fiddle there. This violin stuck around for a long time. It's a survivor. Heck, someone even took the time to trim the pegs flush. Wither through love of music and tradition or maybe someone knew how to get a special tone out of it.  Or maybe get a night of drinks out of it?

A good wipe-down with naphtha (but be not tempted to set it aflame).  Off with the dirt, repair a crack or two, maybe a new piece here and there, glue it up taut, make a perfect bridge, and string it up. I'd leave varnish out of the restoration. Looks heavy enough, with that thick fingerboard.

Too bad it is not a 4/4. Here are a couple rescues I did last year.

simsbury 1860.jpg

simsbury 1868.JPG

Well that thick fingerboard is very comfortable to use despite its size it does have a somewhat special tone. It sounds like an old pub/tavern fiddle. I Just happen to have a bridge cut for folk fiddle that fits the top to perfection. I'll enjoy it until I sell it on. If it was 4/4 it would be a keeper. Only one small crack to the treble f-hole which is a miracle - no obvious repairs anywhere.