Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

RIP Maestro Francesco Bissolotti.

RIP Maestro Francesco Bissolotti, quite a nice guy, he received me in Cremona some decades ago, such a nice man and maker.

https://www.cremonaoggi.it/2019/01/31/morto-89-anni-francesco-bissolotti-uno-dei-grandi-liutai-cremonesi/?fbclid=IwAR2NKm98HXfrX1-NoFQtF9ACHOpcp5XgJrTW9wmcr2exWpeMVFfMUHogs_o

Tarriso sent an email link about his passing and a link to his life history. He was responsible for reintroducing the Cremonese inner form method and he started by band sawing all the French outer forms in the workshop !

Apparently his colleagues were less than pleased :lol:

A quote from the Tarisio interview, "The important thing about the Cremonese method is that every time you make a violin it’s a one-off."

I like that.

-Jim

this line from Tarisio's tribute caught my eye and gave me pause.  You've got to respect a maker who has both humility and a firm conservative approach like this.  it has something to teach me.

'If you innovate you’ll make ugly stuff,’ he says quietly, with the certainty that only a lifetime’s experience can give you...

I remember his significant presence at the school in antagonism with Morassi, the other leading figure of the time, who also passed away last year. With their passing definitively closes an era for Cremonese violin making, I hope that the students will be able to overcome the masters.

I had met "Bisso" just in September, my last goodbye.

RIP