Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

Pernambuco bow. Broken tip. Repairable?

This is a bow that I would like to use as I like it's weight/balance and tonality.  I assume this partly due to the quality of the wood used.  I'm concerned the break to the tip is beyond repair but must be repaired in order for it to be safe to use.  Would this be an expensive repair?  I'm assuming this is a medium quality German bow as not silver mounted? 

JON_8614.JPG

JON_8568.JPG

JON_8612.JPG

JON_8574.JPG

26 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Perfectly safe to use ...

But is there actually any wood missing? Looks like once you've replaced the ebony and the face you should be fine.

There is a tiny part missing - see new pic.

JON_8748.JPG

OK - the bow is of minimal historic importance and the missing wood won't affect the stability or playing qualities so I would build up the tip without too much concern for matching the wood.

You need a new tip.  It is not a terribly expensive job, but it takes someone that knows what they are doing to do it correctly without damaging the original.  You could have someone replace just the nose ivory, but that repair does not last very long as there is hardly any glue surface.

Please have the screw hole and mortise looked at while you are at it, it looks like you need a bushing. 

After seeing the very first pic I thought I can see a hairline crack of the tip that has been glued back on, but perhaps it's just my imagination...

The missing ivory(?) tip is no problem for such bow good quality CA can hold new nose well enough.

30 minutes ago, martin swan said:

OK - the bow is of minimal historic importance and the missing wood won't affect the stability or playing qualities so I would build up the tip without too much concern for matching the wood.

Thanks.  I'm tempted to carefully apply a spot of plastic wood and dye it.  

25 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

You need a new tip.  It is not a terribly expensive job, but it takes someone that knows what they are doing to do it correctly without damaging the original.  You could have someone replace just the nose ivory, but that repair does not last very long as there is hardly any glue surface.

Please have the screw hole and mortise looked at while you are at it, it looks like you need a bushing. 

Oh yes the screw is missing.  I will attempt to fix that myself. 

The ideal solution would be a new tip, so that the nose would be one with the rest of the tip. 

You can put a new nose or nub on the tip and make it usable again. As long as the tip doesn’t have any other issues, this ought to work for an inexpensive bow. I would recommend having the missing wood filled in with pernambuco though. If any other cracks develop in the tip, have it replaced then. 

If you use the bow as is, there’s more risk of damaging the head of the bow. If you’re especially careful, you might get away with it, but the wood at the nose may degrade as it gets exposed to the elements. 

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

The ideal solution would be a new tip, so that the nose would be one with the rest of the tip. 

You can put a new nose or nub on the tip and make it usable again. As long as the tip doesn’t have any other issues, this ought to work for an inexpensive bow. I would recommend having the missing wood filled in with pernambuco though. If any other cracks develop in the tip, have it replaced then. 

If you use the bow as is, there’s more risk of damaging the head of the bow. If you’re especially careful, you might get away with it, but the wood at the nose may degrade as it gets exposed to the elements. 

Bashing the tip is my main concern so yep something has to be done.  It's too good a bow.