Sign in to follow this  
scordatura

Decent Boxwood Fittings at a Reasonable Price?

It seems to me that for the most part there are two levels of boxwood fittings (pegs, tailpiece, end button, chin rest) the less expensive and the uber expensive. What I am curious about is there something in-between that people are using? I love Otto Tempel. However Tempel, Eric Meyer , Bois de Harmonie are $500- $600 for a set (pegs, end button, tailpiece minus chin rest).

Who sells reasonably priced but good quality fittings? Some of the pegs etc. that I have ordered in the past are decently priced but very far down in quality from the expensive sets. Ideas/opinions on what people use?

You get what you pay for with Box. You missed the name of Hansell who are also top. 

Once you go down from top makers the quality of the wood becomes dubious and the style becomes cheap. 

1 hour ago, scordatura said:

It seems to me that for the most part there are two levels of boxwood fittings (pegs, tailpiece, end button, chin rest) the less expensive and the uber expensive. What I am curious about is there something in-between that people are using? I love Otto Tempel. However Tempel, Eric Meyer , Bois de Harmonie are $500- $600 for a set (pegs, end button, tailpiece minus chin rest).

Who sells reasonably priced but good quality fittings? Some of the pegs etc. that I have ordered in the past are decently priced but very far down in quality from the expensive sets. Ideas/opinions on what people use?

Reasonably priced, but good quality doesn’t go hand in hand when it comes to boxwood.  Really, you just have to pay for the good stuff, if you want it to last.    

Years ago when Otto Tempel Inc. had a falling out with Dick (German pronunciation:  Deek,)  now Dictum GmbH—they had a fire sale on all of Tempels inventory.  I must of bought a dozen  matched sets of fittings (including chinrest).  individual peg sets, and extra tail pieces, extra chin rest and endpins.  It was a worthwhile investment.

You get what you pay for, and then some.

4 hours ago, scordatura said:

Would I pay VAT from the UK or Europe to the US?

If you are a registered violin maker the price is about 1/3rd of what you mentioned about Tempel fitting. At least in Europe.

6 hours ago, Wee B. Bridges said:

Years ago when Otto Tempel Inc. had a falling out with Dick (German pronunciation:  Deek,)  now Dictum GmbH—they had a fire sale on all of Tempels inventory.  I must of bought a dozen  matched sets of fittings (including chinrest).  individual peg sets, and extra tail pieces, extra chin rest and endpins.  It was a worthwhile investment.

You get what you pay for, and then some.

Interesting. I used to order from Gunter Dick before they were GmbH at the advice of Hans Nebel. In the days pre internet we used to have to speak on the phone to agree on the exchange rate of USD to Deutsch Marks! It tested my German and their English.

5 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

If you are a registered violin maker the price is about 1/3rd of what you mentioned about Tempel fitting. At least in Europe.

Removed

10 hours ago, scordatura said:

Would I pay VAT from the UK or Europe to the US?

You can register as a maker and order direct from Temple paying their VAT plus shipping, or order from the US distributor, Connolly Music (whole sale price for makers/shops), or from Lemuel in Canada.

Grandi Liutai Italiani/Giovanni Colonna (formerly Tone Wood International Cremona) makes very nice boxwood fittings at a relatively affordable price, using good wood. Unfortunately, it looks like their website is currently under construction, but you can see a few examples of their fittings on their Instagram account. Cremona Tools used to carry their fittings sets, but I just checked their website and they are not currently listed.

I have Gerald Crowson boxwood fittings on one violin, Tempel rosewood fittings on my teaching instrument, and a Harmonie boxwood tailpiece on my old violin. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for! My luthier alternates between using fittings from Gerald Crowson, Roger Hansell, and Harald Lorenz.

Is there a distributor for Crowson in the US? If not, does anyone have his contact info? I emailed him at  crowson@btinternet.com and have not heard back yet.

I don't exactly get the "you get what you pay for" school of thought.  Many times, I have paid top dollar for an item and was quite disappointed.  I understand there are exceptions.

These "cheap" fittings that are on the internet and supposedly made by Chinese manufacturers...where are they getting their wood from? How does anyone know if a higher priced set of fittings weren't actually manufactured from wood from the same source as the Chinese ones?

Lastly, how much of a quantifiable difference is there between the cheaper sets and the known brand sets?  Will it make a student instrument sound like a Strad?  

Reason I ask is because I am on a budget and need new fittings but these posts are giving me the impression that I should just save up and get $500 fittings...If there are any intermediate priced sets, I too would like to know!

4 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

OK. My violins  do not merit (yet) $500 accessories. How about < $150? Any recommendations?

This was my original intent. 

Just recently I went to International Violin to check out the Teller boxwood pegs which I am told are made from european boxwood and have a relatively low price point.  They were all out of complete sets so it's possible that the pegs I saw were the dregs of the barrel but I was surprised by the wild variety of shape and finish.   They have more of a handmade look if that's what you're after.