A dream deferred...

Ever since I started down the violin making road I have wanted a card catalog. Almost immediately upon seeing other peoples workshops, (and a few of these had one), and the vast array of bits and pieces and odds and ends I thought to myself, "Young man, you need an old library card catalog to put things in. Please set about finding one. And be quick about it.

Well, 22 years later, I got one!

I present to you, a dream fulfilled:

0-1.jpeg.02141d66bfe164ab8faa872d36f02aa3.jpeg0.jpeg.42945e1c98032331250406709be98470.jpeg

So remember kids, as Jerri Blank said, "It must be nice to hope for the thing you wish to want." And it is.

Now back to the sorting.

Great idea.  For anyone looking for one, find the surplus sales for universities in your area.  The card catalogs may all be gone (about ten years ago might have been the best window of opportunity), but that's where they turned up here.  With on-line catalogs, these wonderful items are being scrapped.

There's one EXACTLY like it on ebay, if you're in NC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-60-DRAWER-CARD-FILE-CATALOG-STORAGE-CABINET-60-tall-41-wide-20-deep/113284810729?hash=item1a604d07e9:g:gEQAAOSwK65bs2pV:rk:52:pf:0

I got some of it's second cousin, the microfiche.  Local library was cutting them into the shape of turkeys one Thanksgiving and giving them away as bookmarks.

I remember being proud of my name being the only one on the index card at the back of a number of books from the library

nice find and great organization, I wish I didn't have to rely on my brain to remember where everything is, good thing i'm still young......

1 hour ago, arglebargle said:

I have fond memories of finding my way through the card catalog, looking for my next favorite book.

My memories of it are the book I always needed was stolen years ago because the technology holding down the fort was about the same level as the catalog.

1 hour ago, gtd said:

I remember being proud of my name being the only one on the index card at the back of a number of books from the library

Yes! I miss being able to see who else had read the book you just checked out. 99% of the time I had no idea who they were, but once in a blue moon you would see a name you recognized.

2 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Yes! I miss being able to see who else had read the book you just checked out. 99% of the time I had no idea who they were, but once in a blue moon you would see a name you recognized.

Or rarely, you would see someone famous. 

Fun fact: Melville Dewey was graduated from Amherst College, class of 1874,and 1877. He copyrighted the Dewey Decimal system in 1876. He would have been a paraih now, with the #me too movement.  In bad ways, he was "ahead" of his time, but received opprobrium throughout his life because of his inappropriate behavior, even back then.  

That is a nice piece. If I sold more strings that would be a great use.

I had doubts that I would be able to fill it, but I only have 6 drawers left! It has really opened up a lot of room in the shop, and made things easier. I am now in the process of organizing the organization, and memorizing where things are. Not every drawer is filled. Some only have small items in them, but they have a home.^_^

for example:

0.jpeg.9369fa4ce912eac8197060cf0a0ccf68.jpeg0-2.jpeg.d65ddb07a81129a4ce90ec1751e9663c.jpeg

Not to prolong this thread, but I just thought these are of interest?

The first one has bigger drawers below in which are the Cello singles

The next is the violin bow cabinets - an old University architects plan store to which we fitted dividers

The third the rosins, mutes,  etc - all the small stuff!

20190204_103204.jpg

20190204_103317.jpg

20190204_120708.jpg