Maestronet Forums

Identifying old pigments

Woodman

A couple of projects are on the table. One wants LOTS of attention and the other just a few spots. So I finally am going to separate and label an old box of pigments gifted to me a few years ago.

The stuff that looks like ground up spruce - I think it is something else. Fragrant, and I burnt a little and it did not smell like wood. Familiar?

The dark flower buds grind into a black/grey/brown but I do not have them at powder yet - Can anyone identify the bud?

This yellow - one of several - has a name written on the bag but I cannot read it. Ideas?

I'm looking to get closer to a brown. Haven't gotten there yet. Too red or too sludge-like so far.

Many many more packets to go in the big box.  Thank you very much for your guidance. 

IMG_2350.jpg

12809547_1298946186788650_4863819545227335842_n.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Aureum usually means gamboge

Yeeeoooowww! I'll be careful not to ingest it!  I figured since lots of these packages look over 100 years old - easily - and the labels indicate "chemists shops", that some are probably items which wouldn't pass OSHA muster these days. Respirator is ON most of the time when opening up the more dusty, crinkled packages.

5 hours ago, Felefar said:

Top says "Santelholz" - sandel wood. It's a fragrance.

Thank you! What would sandalwood wood shavings be used for?

I had an idea, between wakefulness and slumber, on the flower buds. Separate the light from the dark, and use the lighter parts. It is a perfect shade.

Speaking of turmeric, taking the jesting of a few jokers literally in my formative years, I once used pumpkin spice as a tint in a patching compound. Learned my lesson, and went on to make effective ebony, spruce, and maple fillers for occasional use.

The buds were loosely wrapped in these two pieces of paper, one of which looks like a detailed sketch with very small writings upon it. A fair quantity. The stigma is the light part? I believe a mortar and pestle is in order.

I'll try to press the sketch flat and post it after a bit.

These yellow chips are resin for making varnish?

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

If the notion is to use them for coloring varnish, I'd toss 'em. Even if you can determine for sure what each one is, some fade very badly, and you won't know which until you test them for light-fastness or color degradation in the medium you will be using. 

Some of the "artist" pigments and dyes you can buy off-the-shelf today are rated for light-fastness.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

If the notion is to use them for coloring varnish, I'd toss 'em. Even if you can determine for sure what each one is, some fade very badly, and you won't know which until you test them for light-fastness or color degradation in the medium you will be using. 

Some of the "artist" pigments and dyes you can buy off-the-shelf today are rated for light-fastness.

Some of those probably are as old as David.  The difference is, he shows no sign of fading.  Happily so.  :lol:

With small jars freshly cleaned of their labels, I'm finally delving back into the box of pigments. This little box, like a deck of cards, has long intrigued me. As if it were a pocket-kit of tints which might solve all a luthier's problems. (The holzbeizen may be the grail I seek). As I label my jars, any help will be greatly appreciated.  Finally unwrapped and decanted, this is what we have:

020219 the little box 1.jpg

020219 the little box 2.jpg

020219 the little box 3.jpg

020219 the little box 4.jpg

020219 the little box 5.jpg

020219 the little box 6.jpg

The little box is for photographic plates. These are glass plates with photographic emulsion on, but if there are plates in there they will either be developed negatives or damaged from age. Common sizes were 6.5*9cm and 9*12cm, it does not look like larger ones (e.g. 13*18cm or 18*24cm) to me.

Thank you, Felefar! The four pigments are in the small photographic plates box. The first two envelopes I cannot read but versions of the 3rd and 4th come up in web searches.

The blocky chunks posted last Monday, on the 28th ... shellac maybe?

Inside this olfer Kent cigarette package I think I found tolu balsam ans what looks like more saffron, but I cannot read the label.

020219 cig pack duo.jpg