Sign in to follow this  
Greg F.

old bows

In general, what is the approx. min. value for a non-descript vintage/antique (pre-WWII) German bow of standard weight made of pernambuco with silver mounts in good condition with original parts.  I'm just looking for an approx. low end.  

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Greg F. said:

In general, what is the approx. min. value for a non-descript vintage/antique (pre-WWII) German bow of standard weight made of pernambuco with silver mounts in good condition with original parts.  I'm just looking for an approx. low end.  

Thanks.

That’s a big can o’ Worms...too many parameters to adequately answer, but my own experience...

I have an old( 1920s) Ernst Kreusler, good wood, all original, silver mounted, good weight. Bought it at auction 12 years ago for about $300 and was happy to get it. It’s on Craigslist right now for $800 and the new owner will also be happy to get it.

if you’re careful you can find excellent values at auction, but you can also spend lots of money on firewood. Best to go to a shop.

Thanks for your insights.

I'd be surprised if a "vintage/antique (pre-WWII) German bow of standard weight made of pernambuco with silver mounts in good condition with original parts" would turn out to be firewood, but anything is possible.

I have plenty of bows so I prefer to play the auction "guessing game".  It's really quite entertaining and educational.  The costs are often quite low. 

So, $800 is or is not at the low end for such a bow?

3 hours ago, Greg F. said:

Thanks.

anywhere from salvage value of 0 to hundreds of dollars.

p.s. lots of them would be firewood except for the fact that burning pernambuco might make you wheezy and sick. Really, they made hundreds of thousands of bows and only a very small percentage of them are slavageable.

I would have been very glad to catch GBP 800 for the many silver Dürrschmidts, Penzels or the like I've sold over the years, but reality is different. Just take a look in T2 auctions f.e. to see what "german silver mounted" is selling for.

7 hours ago, Blank face said:

I would have been very glad to catch GBP 800 for the many silver Dürrschmidts, Penzels or the like I've sold over the years, but reality is different. Just take a look in T2 auctions f.e. to see what "german silver mounted" is selling for.

Ok.  I did a very fast search of the latest T2 and also some recent Brompton's.  Many unnamed and "stamped as" German silver mounted bows are listed.   Many have minor issues (lapping, leathers), some are noted as having incorrect buttons, and some have obvious or noted damage.  Minimum bids all seem to be at $200 or higher.  Realized prices seem to be in the $300-600 range.  Does this sound about right?

5 hours ago, Greg F. said:

Ok.  I did a very fast search of the latest T2 and also some recent Brompton's.  Many unnamed and "stamped as" German silver mounted bows are listed.   Many have minor issues (lapping, leathers), some are noted as having incorrect buttons, and some have obvious or noted damage.  Minimum bids all seem to be at $200 or higher.  Realized prices seem to be in the $300-600 range.  Does this sound about right?

More than GBP 800, what would be roughly 1 200 $ or 950 Euro. Like said above, it depends of many factors, the venue or country, wood and workmanship etc. Note that I'm not talking about "retail" or maximum value but about usual sale prices. And I'm in Germany, where there might be more available than elsewhere.

Where I live if you walk into a shop and ask to look at bows under $800 you will probably not see any old silver mounted German bows. Put the price range to $1000-2000 and you will.

Part of that issue is that new bows under $1k from Brazil etc. tend to play and sell well enough in this price range.

6 hours ago, Greg F. said:

you should ask the t2 people about the bows that the declined to offer in the auction. without seeing your bow, we can't really say. 

I was given a Nurnburger frog last week. given. the bow was not reparable.

19 hours ago, Greg F. said:

Thanks for your insights.

I'd be surprised if a "vintage/antique (pre-WWII) German bow of standard weight made of pernambuco with silver mounts in good condition with original parts" would turn out to be firewood, but anything is possible.

I have plenty of bows so I prefer to play the auction "guessing game".  It's really quite entertaining and educational.  The costs are often quite low. 

So, $800 is or is not at the low end for such a bow?

Well, considering modern factory bows that are silver mounted. They range in price from $100 to about $1500 for the lower end silver mounted Arcos Brazil bows.

All things being equal, I think a good silver mounted bow from the 1910s or 20s would probably play better then the Arcos Brazil bows I mention, But wouldn’t sell for as much.

And I was able to buy mine at auction for $300, so I guess that would be the low-end, at least 12 years ago when I bought it.

If you enjoy buying bows, go to Skinner in Boston in May or November.

1 hour ago, deans said:

Where I live if you walk into a shop and ask to look at bows under $800 you will probably not see any old silver mounted German bows. Put the price range to $1000-2000 and you will.

Part of that issue is that new bows under $1k from Brazil etc. tend to play and sell well enough in this price range.

You and I may be referring to the same Arcos Brazil bows. Their lower end products are nickel, but the lower silver mounted bows are between 12-1500, at least in my area, and are usually quite good. Many of my students get those, although others have found older W Seiferts, Duprees, or Knolls that are cheaper and better, and one student who tragically broke his old Lothar Seifert( I don’t know whether this particular stick was by the named maker or was a factory stick but it was a great bow) and found a wonderful Marco Raposo bow at Skinner(?) that was only about $400. And it’s a really fine bow. I would buy a truckload of them if I could.

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

I was given a Nurnburger frog last week. given. the bow was not reparable.

If it’s a cello bow frog I’d be happy to talk to you about it if it is for sale

Here's a pic of most of my silver mounted bows.  Since I'm thinking of consigning one or two to local shop (a guitar maker who has a few violins for sale as well) I thought it might be helpful to have an approx. value, neither too high nor too low.

img471.thumb.jpg.cd5b934a22e14a0f1521b24559bc022c.jpg

39 minutes ago, martin swan said:

The second one down deserves a much closer look ...

The first is not uninteresting - do you have shots of the heads?

Here's a link to more pics of the second bow:

16 hours ago, Greg F. said:

Since I'm thinking of consigning one or two to local shop (a guitar maker who has a few violins for sale as well) I thought it might be helpful to have an approx. value, neither too high nor too low. 

These prices can vary much. If you want to sell them locally, just "spy" a bit what regular shops in your region are asking for anonymous silver mounted bows. Than take into consideration that you want to sell them more quickly than a shop with a big stock to choose from, the commission of the guitar shop and ask a price with an appropriate discount making it attractive for buyers.