Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

Latest eBay Purchase - in a Maine attic for decades!

1 hour ago, GeorgeH said:

@Blank face Is this an example of built-on-back around blocks?

I wondered a bit, because the blocks appear to be slightly longer in the middle bouts than the outer. OTOH, the very steep angle of the rib joints look as if they were clamped together from outside what would be rather the Markneukirchen method. The short-tip morticed linings seem to indicate that they were meant to look like something different, i.e. an inside mould construction.

Well all of it is 100% better than I could do, whoever made it!  I agree the inside work is nice,  and of course I like it overall or I wouldn't have bought it.  But having never built a violin or learned how,  I'm just going on looks.   I think once it's back together it should sound good, since it was graduated so well.  

Does the ebony purfling indicate anything about origin?  

On 1/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, reepicheep said:

Does the ebony purfling indicate anything about origin? 

Real ebony in the purfling is very unusual, it's so difficult to bend. More likely it's a very dark stained fruitwood, someti,es it can look very similar to ebony at this very thin stripes.

Or it's whalebone which can point to the Netherlands, but at the photos it looks more like wood.

10 hours ago, Blank face said:

Or it's whalebone which can point to the Netherlands 

OH! This reminds me, I have a fiddle with whalebone purfling!  It's really cool, American, made by N.O. Billings here in the Pacific Northwest.  I think it was made in the 1930s or so but I don't recall exactly.  I bought it off of Craigslist about 10 years ago.and I haven't  really seen it since, it's at my friend's shop.  While trying to research the maker,  I found a very awesome old black and white photo of him on ebay, and the listing mentioned it was a photo of a PNW violin maker!  I recently found that photo while cleaning out a spare room, and finally brought it to my friend's shop on Saturday to go with the fiddle.   

I'll borrow them both for a bit and get some photos to share in a few weeks... it's a pretty cool package!

I don't think this violin has much to do with Mittenwald, maybe apart from the current appearance of the varnish. Jacob mentioned Jeffrey Gilbert, and I have seen several other English with this varnish texture, Richmond Henry Bird for one, Bernard Simon Fendt and also Henri John Furber .  I wouldn't be surprised if that were English and if so it may even be signed somewhere inside.  

On 2/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, Ratcliffiddles said:

I don't think this violin has much to do with Mittenwald, maybe apart from the current appearance of the varnish. Jacob mentioned Jeffrey Gilbert, and I have seen several other English with this varnish texture, Richmond Henry Bird for one, Bernard Simon Fendt and also Henri John Furber .  I wouldn't be surprised if that were English and if so it may even be signed somewhere inside.  

Nothing on the inside, even faded and visible with a UV light.

Maybe the very distinct form of the upper and lower blocks could give a clue, if they were present also at another genuine signed instrument by the named makers?

Interesting thread. The first violin I worked on had varnish like the French one here, but only on the top...which had been replaced by someone in Sleepy Eye MN. The color of the varnish on the top was similar ro these. It was a pretty nice fiddle...wish I still had it.

Also picked.one up at an instrument show that was made by someone in Maine in the 1930s...same color, similar crazing all all over. I haven't worked on it yet, but I'll try to post some pictures if I can.