Sign in to follow this  
jack london

conservatory violins history lesson needed

I was wondering if the "Conservatory" violins (the ones with the stamp on the back of the peghead) were made in one area, or if the necks were made and stamped and then stuck on any fiddle the seller happened to have.   I have seen some necks with the shield on the back of the peghead with nothing on it all, and also with other names besides "conservatory."     Also, anyone know the approximate time period these were distributed?   

Mine says "Concert violin" so yah boo! I'm saving up (and practising hard) for one that says "Grand solo violin"

I play one that says "Artist Violin Guarnerius", with the shield carved on the back of the pegbox.

Some of those can make excellent playing violins, however the quality does differ. I've seen good and bad ones. Time period of 1890s to 1930s.

I had a 15.5" viola that read "conservatory violin" even though it was a viola. Should have kept it, I used it as a loaner and people really liked it.

I think these were probably sold with a blank shield so that seller could stamp them as they wished. Here's one on Ebay that I never saw before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153345909506?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true