Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Plate flex graphics

I occasionally do lutherie presentations to local middle and high school string orchestras and would love to display a graphic of a top plate flexing in response to the stimulation in various modes.

I remember seeing a colleague's Strad 3D project videos, but have not seen such graphics elsewhere.  Is anyone aware of another source of this kind of thing?  Thanks in advance for the help, hivemind.

You might ask Fan Tao about it. He could probably help you find a PowerPoint presentation from some of the people that developed the software you see in the Strad3D project. When I went to the workshop at Oberlin a few years back, we passed a flash drive around that was full of software and past lectures. 

Those graphics on Boreman's site are pretty cool.  I wouldn't even begin to try to understand or analyze them.  Just knowing that it is buzzing like that is enough.  Carve it till it shakes.  It does seem like every instrument is going to have different characteristics.  

Ed Campbell had some antique movies of these done long ago. They used accelerometers,,,, used in automotive tire development and glued them all over the fiddle and ran the tests. They looked quite similar in every detail, only in flickering black and white. There were lots of modes shown, watched them many times, always a long dark sleepy afternoon,,, that one was!

Evan Yawning