PhilipKT

Interesting cello or no?

They call me Yellow Cello (quite rightly)! They call me Yellow Cello (quite rightly)!....

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

They call me Yellow Cello (quite rightly)! They call me Yellow Cello (quite rightly)!....

I would call it more gold, maybe blonde. What do you think of it? The auction listing calls it a Birdseye maple cello, And I don’t think Birdseye maple is a tone wood.

I thought it was. Just a variation on the theme.

But...maybe not as "toneful" as flamed maple?

Birdseye maple is tone wood not an actual maple but is the pattern from some type of maple (i forget). Not to common in my parts. It is harder to carve because the eyes' are like little knots.

I've only seen a few instruments with birds eye. I think it's a beautiful wood. Don't know all that much about wood but would it be correct to say it's more prone to cracks? Aren't they slab cut? I'm basing that off a really nice early 1800s cello I saw that had some serious cracks to the back but only a chest patch on the top plate. Or possibly they're related, could be someone punched the bridge in and the soundpost went through the back.

About the cello,  I think it's interesting in the fact that the Yellow, (or gold....) is really putting me off. Probably have to see it in person for me to sigh and say it's not a painted CSO.

7 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

This is the only photo of this cello on offer at auction. 

Normally, one can write and request aditional pictures from an auctionier

3 hours ago, gtd said:

Aren't they slab cut? 

If it weren't slab cut, it would be "Birds stripe Maple

This one? http://ogallerie.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?dot=2019-01&categ=musi listed as "a copy of an Alexandrius Emilius Eira (and so labeled), Germany, late 20th century"

Searching for A E Eira, I only find copies - were there ever originals? I doesn't look unreasonable for a DDR-period instrument, but on the other hand it also looks a bit like a Chinese copy of a copy of a DDR instrument...

4 hours ago, Felefar said:

I doesn't look unreasonable for a DDR-period instrument, but on the other hand it also looks a bit like a Chinese copy of a copy of a DDR instrument...

Yeah. No.