jacklinks

Higher priced carbon fiber bows? Coda and Jonpaul (excluding Arcus)

What do the higher priced CodaBow and JonPaul bows offer that their bows a step down do not have? Specifically the Coda Marquise compared to the Coda Diamond GX, or the Jonpaul Carrera compared to the JonPaul Muse or Avanti? So you would be going from a roughly $700-$800 price point to roughly $1,200-$1,300ish for the Marquise or Carrera.

I’m not asking about Coda vs JonPaul. I’m asking generally what do you get with either one for the $400 extra. And some of you may argue that they are all roughly similar even down to their lower end models because they are not pernambuco.

I’m excluding Arcus from this discussion because they seem to be at an entirely different price point and have an entirely different build approach (i.e. lighter weight).

I have never found a carbon fiber bow that sounds good. The only one I’ve ever played that actually felt good is a Prism, And it felt quite good. It either has a wood core or a carbon fiber core, and was a pretty, dark red color. I would never buy one under any circumstances, but if you insist on carbon fiber, I would give them a look.

I own several carbon fiber bows. My favorite is the spiccato by Benoit Rolland.  The tension adjustability is very cool. No longer made but I would ask the folks who are running the old Prier shop.

15 minutes ago, scordatura said:

I own several carbon fiber bows. My favorite is the spiccato by Benoit Rolland.  The tension adjustability is very cool. No longer made but I would ask the folks who are running the old Prier shop.

Thank you. Is the Prier Shop the same as what is now Jonpaul? Or just coincidence they are both in Salt Lake City?

No not the same. http://www.prierviolins.com/. They were the main dealer for the Spiccato bows. I got one a while back when they were no longer being made as Rolland abandoned the effort of non-pernambuco bows. There is a kevlar thread that can be tightened or loosened. Pretty good tonally as well as playability.

Arcus also now has a line below there normal offerings called Musing, just fyi.

In theory the higher the cost, the better the balance, response, silver vs nickel, and so on.