finnfinnviolin

Anyone here in Portland Oregon?

There are also David Gusset and Alina Kostina in Eugene, about 100 miles away.

I would not suggest bothering David, Jenelle, or Alina if all you have to share is extended stories about your grandfather's violin, or something you found in an attic. :D

If you are truly eager to learn, and can contribute some sort of reciprocity from your own field of expertise, I wouldn't doubt that most high-level fiddle pros would be willing to take a quick stab at it.

However, if you screw it up, they might mysteriously disappear when you go off to "the powder room". :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, finnfinnviolin said:

Looking for some other violin maniacs to get together and compare varnish, talk bee stings and the like without people falling asleep! 

Would welcome a visit but it's a 6 hour drive from Portland. Where are you visiting from?

Have you gone down to Henry Strobel & Sons down in Aumsville (just outside Salem)? Not too far from Portland. Henry Sr passed away recently but I have talked to Henry Jr. on the phone and he seemed like a nice guy, and knows others in the area too. 

I'm over in the Beaverton area, but I am just a hack who likes to mess around with thrift store cellos. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, lpr5184 said:

Would welcome a visit but it's a 6 hour drive from Portland. Where are you visiting from?

I live in Portland, I’ve been here for about a year now. Just wanted to see who was ‘close’ 

where are you based?

On 1/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, David Burgess said:

There are also David Gusset and Alina Kostina in Eugene, about 100 miles away.

I would not suggest bothering David, Jenelle, or Alina if all you have to share is extended stories about your grandfather's violin, or something you found in an attic. :D

If you are truly eager to learn, and can contribute some sort of reciprocity from your own field of expertise, I wouldn't doubt that most high-level fiddle pros would be willing to take a quick stab at it.

However, if you screw it up, they might mysteriously disappear when you go off to "the powder room". :lol:

:lol: brilliant response!! 

There's a Handmade Musical Instrument Exhibit that has happened in the spring every year since the late 70s: This year it's in early May: http://nwmusicalinstrumentshow.org

Lot's of instrument makers of every stripe there.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, ChrisBurt said:

There's a Handmade Musical Instrument Exhibit that has happened in the spring every year since the late 70s: This year it's in early May: http://nwmusicalinstrumentshow.org

Lot's of instrument makers of every stripe there.

Great to see you post here again Chris!

Every time I've driven through I've thought,,I think I'd love to live  in Sequim,,,,

My favorite place on the planet is the Olympic peninsula, I've had some vision quests out there,,

But you would not believe me if I told you.

Amazing place!

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, Evan Smith said:

Every time I've driven through I've thought,,I think I'd love to live  in Sequim,,,,

My favorite place on the planet is the Olympic peninsula, I've had some vision quests out there,,

But you would not believe me if I told you.

Amazing place!

Have you ever considered moving to the Olympic Peninsula Evan?...the northern end of the sound desperately needs more luthiers. One drawback is the remoteness and distance to a hospital in case of emergency.