Sign in to follow this  
hh200

two fingers on violin

On 1/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, hh200 said:

why when I put two fingers on two different strings and try to play a note the sound that comes out is flat?

1. Your strings are out of tune.

2. Your fingers are in the wrong spot.

3. Both.

Watch your left hand in a mirror while you play to see what you are doing. If your instrument strings are in tune with each other you are not reaching across perpendicularly to the strings - even though ti feels like you are. You will need to get used to what it feels like to get the proper finger spacing across different strings. You could practice double stops by playing the notes separately and then together - i.e., scales in all sorts of intervals - although if you are new to the instrument you are probably limited to first position and this limits the intervals you can test - but still, you can do some.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, hh200 said:

why when I put two fingers on two different strings and try to play a note the sound that comes out is flat?

Normally when you put two fingers on two different strings you get two notes, not one.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:26 PM, hh200 said:

Yes, it is normal at some stage in learning the violin, that placing two fingers distorts the shape of the hand, and disturbs intonation. It is a problem for the teacher to sort out, because the shape in which you hold the hand with just one finger down may not be ideal and that should be fixed first, otherwise it worsens this and other problems.