Andreas Preuss

shop lights.

I am looking for a replacement of the neon lights in my shop. Though I replaced the original white blueish shining tubes with the warmest color I could find, it still has the neon taste. And I hate it! 

I love old fashioned bulbs but this would be a too expensive hobby. Any ideas or recommendations?

At the bench I will keep my daylight bulbs in architect-lamps.

I'm sure you mean fluorescent, not neon.  I replaced all the mercury fluorescent bulbs with LED's a while ago.  I went for the bluer daylight variety, as colors looked better to me with that, but you could go warmer.

I bought an industrial LED lamp to go 7 or 8 feet above my table saw a couple of years ago. It's not as yellow as incandecent but it's a good daylight color. I like it a lot.

Search: LE 55W LED High Bay Light, Super Bright Commercial Lighting, 150W MH Bulbs Equivalent, 4800lm, Waterproof, Daylight White

28 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I'm sure you mean fluorescent, not neon.  I replaced all the mercury fluorescent bulbs with LED's a while ago.  I went for the bluer daylight variety, as colors looked better to me with that, but you could go warmer.

Oops, another German English mistake. I meant fluorescent. 

Long ago I had a normal daylight bulb from Sweden which made a super nice light and if I could find the same light in LED would be great.

24 minutes ago, bkwood said:

I bought an industrial LED lamp to go 7 or 8 feet above my table saw a couple of years ago. It's not as yellow as incandecent but it's a good daylight color. I like it a lot.

Search: LE 55W LED High Bay Light, Super Bright Commercial Lighting, 150W MH Bulbs Equivalent, 4800lm, Waterproof, Daylight White

Thanks, will have a look. 

Andreas, before spending the money on converting your main lights to LED, I'd recommend trying an LED in your task lamp to see if it does anything weird to you.

I have LED's for task lamps too, no problems.  I do keep two incandescent task lamps around, mostly for heating stuff up.

The only lighting that bothers me after a while is the computer screen, although it might be for reasons other than the light.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:51 AM, Don Noon said:

I have LED's for task lamps too, no problems.

How can you be certain? Switching from rocket science to violin making could be indicative of a problem. :lol:

3 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

I prefer gooseneck lamps with 6500K white light bulbs. Seeing shadows is key to finishing surfaces smooth and even.

Maybe then I would need for making copies candle light?

^_^

6 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Maybe then I would need for making copies candle light?

^_^

I have tried  it, and it can work out pretty well. Varnish colors won't be the same as they are in daylight, but that won't matter in most stages of violin construction.

Besides, violin varnish color comfort is rarely assessed under true daylight (whatever that is, since the color makeup and rendition vary with weather conditions and the time of day).

I have the new led's from home depot, I really like them, they put out lots of light, don;t make any noise, and hardly use any electricity. The ones I have can be chained together so they will all operate off one switch. I think I paid 40 for two.

As long as your not having issues like David does, I think they work well for most people.

1 hour ago, jezzupe said:

As long as your not having issues like David does, I think they work well for most people.

So how did you become slightly off-kilter, if not for the strobing artificial grid-powered light sources? ;)

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

So how did you become slightly off-kilter, if not for the strobing artificial grid-powered light sources? ;)

i dunno, my doctor says it was all the drugs, but I think it was Olivia Newton John and that skimpy white outfit with the boots , damn you 1980!!! :lol:

6 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

A little wine helps too. ;)

Aah - a groupie of half-sozzled luthiers sitting around a table trying to decide on the merits of various shades of Rose, Red, White, Amber?

21 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Seeing shadows is key to finishing surfaces smooth and even.

Agree totally. And the best light is early morning sunlight or late afternoon sunlight.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:51 AM, Don Noon said:

I have LED's for task lamps too, no problems. 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:02 AM, David Burgess said:

How can you be certain? Switching from rocket science to violin making could be indicative of a problem. :lol:

I should have said no additional problems.  After 30 years of computer screens and fluorescent lighting, most of the damage has already been done.  And then there are the pre-existing conditions, but let's not get into that.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, David Burgess said:

For any one who does not already know, I was just teasing Don. I consider him to be a really neat guy, and a huge asset to our community.

:)

On 1/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, Rue said:

:)

Where is the post you speak of? I agree by the way, that Don's posts are invaluable.