Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

The Title for this item made me laugh!

1 hour ago, Emilg said:

What's the point Dwight? :lol:

Maybe just a joke, or to reduce the likelihood of folks getting cheated or scammed?

I have not yet seen anything from Dwight which suggested a financial enrichment agenda on his part.

6 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Maybe to reduce the likelihood of folks getting cheated or scammed?

I have not yet seen anything from Dwight which suggested a financial enrichment agenda,.

It was just a "point joke" David, i know Dwight is one of the nicest and most sincere guys in here.  i'll practise for better jokes...  ^_^

I'm not a native English speaker, but it should have been "cornerless" i presume?

36 minutes ago, Emilg said:

...but it should have been "cornerless" i presume?

Yes!

I thought it was funny too! ^_^

23 minutes ago, Rue said:

Yes!

I thought it was funny too! ^_^

I think a made a few pointless violins, but they did have corners :rolleyes:

I just loved the idea!  I'm pretty damn pointless myself!!

DLB

Of course i'm the crank who loves the Chanot-Chardon Strad.  Josh Beyer made me a violin and a viola that is based on it.  They are both favorites.

I am very fond of the design.

The 'cello here seems very Chanot including the lack of a tailpiece.

34 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

I just loved the idea!  I'm pretty damn pointless myself!!

DLB

Of course i'm the crank who loves the Chanot-Chardon Strad.  Josh Beyer made me a violin and a viola that is based on it.  They are both favorites.

I am very fond of the design.

The 'cello here seems very Chanot including the lack of a tailpiece.

Just ignore the critics, Dwight. I feel you're pointed in the right direction.  I'm in your corner on this one.  :):lol:

Aargh. I missed the point. So now I am pointless and there is no point to point out that pointed points can make more points in a T2 auction for an instrument appointed by the pointer sisters. What a a disappointment!

6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Just ignore the critics, Dwight. I feel you're pointed in the right direction.  I'm in your corner on this one.  :):lol:

This should be blocked. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, baroquecello said:

For the amount of Money stated in the estimate, I'd be interested in this pointless Cello.

If it's a remotely decent copy of the real thing, it would probably sound a lot better than a $900 shop cello.

I think the registration page is inactive at the moment because there's no open auction. My guess is that it'll work when the auction opens on the 15th.

This is curious. They're suggesting a date of c.1774, which is several decades before Chanot took out his patents and started having his "pointless" instruments made (by luthiers like a young Vuillaume and George Chanot, no less!) I know the Tarisio folks aren't exerting too much effort to be precise in their T2 auction descriptions, but the body of this instrument does look like it could be that old. Could this be a late 18thc Mirecourt thingy that inspired François Chanot to depose his patents?

5 hours ago, Tom Fid said:

If it's a remotely decent copy of the real thing, it would probably sound a lot better than a $900 shop cello.

I think the registration page is inactive at the moment because there's no open auction. My guess is that it'll work when the auction opens on the 15th.

I'm a professional Cellist, mainly active in the HIPP Scene, but I earn a big part of my income through teaching modern Cello. I've recently discovered that I Play a lot better on Cello with a string length that it a Little Shorter than the average 69 CMs, 67 seems ideal. This Cello is just a Little Shorter, seems to have a Little leeway for the Bridge Placement because of the lack of traditional f-holes, and is an authentic old Cello that I could use with gut strings for 19th century Repertoire in a HIPP context, but I think it should be usable with steel for my modern teaching also, so, even if there is quite some restoring to do on this one (but it seems to be mainly open seams, which on this construction without overhang is a bigger deal than with the usual construction, but still, I can discern only two cracks and they are in structurally non-essential Areas), I think this could be just the Kind of Thing I'm Looking for. If it doesn't Sound to my liking, in a repaired state, with a bit of patience, I think I could sell it nonetheless and not make too big of a loss.

Thank you for your info, I think you are Right.

1 hour ago, Michael Appleman said:

This is curious. They're suggesting a date of c.1774, which is several decades before Chanot took out his patents and started having his "pointless" instruments made (by luthiers like a young Vuillaume and George Chanot, no less!) I know the Tarisio folks aren't exerting too much effort to be precise in their T2 auction descriptions, but the body of this instrument does look like it could be that old. Could this be a late 18thc Mirecourt thingy that inspired François Chanot to depose his patents?

I wrote my thoughts in the Auction Scroll thread (considering that it could be Bohemian), but maybe your right that it's from Mirecourt - but rather a first half of 19th century thing made after the Chanot patent. The varnish and scroll shape would fit well.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

I wrote my thoughts in the Auction Scroll thread (considering that it could be Bohemian), but maybe your right that it's from Mirecourt - but rather a first half of 19th century thing made after the Chanot patent. The varnish and scroll shape would fit well.

Not sure the scroll isn't later. It looks more "ordinary" and considering the Chanot type details, guitar string stop, black "binding" around the edges, I'd expect this came with a "reversed" scroll originally. Maybe just an unusually dark brown varnished Chanot model after all.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, Emilg said:

I'm not a native English speaker, but it should have been "cornerless" i presume?

For what it's worth, builders of flatback mandolins (such as Gibson, etc.) routinely refer to their corner joints as points, so you often hear about two-point and three-point mandolins, etc.  Wouldn't expect such talk from Tarisio though.

47 minutes ago, J-G said:

For what it's worth, builders of flatback mandolins (such as Gibson, etc.) routinely refer to their corner joints as points, so you often hear about two-point and three-point mandolins, etc.  Wouldn't expect such talk from Tarisio though.

Ok, but do "pointless" mandolines also exist?