Toothed blades

8 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

I never doubted that the old masters used toothed planes. I simply do not se a need for using them. BTW, do you have an cremonese example at hand where visible toothed blade marks are on the outside arching?

I believe the Batta(?) Stradivari cello is the one where one of the ribs has saw marks, tooth plane marks and scraper marks all showing on the same  rib. I believe I saw it at an AFVBM meeting in NYC about a dozen years ago. If any one else remembers that meeting maybe they can refresh my memory. Also can't tell you which ones (not in the shop to look things up) but there are certainly tooth plane marks on several Del Gesu violins and a great many on the DG cello of 1731.

Didn't use toothed planes for decades, then one night after tediously messing around with a bunch of tear out on a really great back, I stopped and made one,,,,

What the heck I felt stupid,,,Three times the speed, three times the control, carefree cut any direction I wanted, just shred to my hearts content,,, I love them absolutely!

My little miniature chainsaws,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Love'em!

2 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

Didn't use toothed planes for decades, then one night after tediously messing around with a bunch of tear out on a really great back, I stopped and made one,,,,

What the heck I felt stupid,,,Three times the speed, three times the control, carefree cut any direction I wanted, just shred to my hearts content,,, I love them absolutely!

My little miniature chainsaws,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Love'em!

Good Man Evan

Couldn't have said it any better myself - my experience to a T.

cheers edi