Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Aldo Parisot has died at 100

He was one of the last of a great generation (that of Menuhin, Ricci, Starker and so on);  we still have Gitlis, who studied with Thibaud in the thirties.  Parisot taught many summer workshops at the Banff Centre, along with such distinguished contemporaries as Zoltan Szekely and Lorand Fenyves. 

I seem to recall a story that the ribs of his cello were marred by marks supposedly made by Napoleon's spurs, when the emperor tried to play it.  Probably apocryphal, of course— could have been anyone's spurs. :wacko:

Oops.  That was Rostropovich's cello.  So I'm forced to conclude either that the student I heard the story from was confusing two of her teachers, or that Napoleon tried out every cello that came through Paris. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, J-G said:

Oops.  That was Rostropovich's cello.  So I'm forced to conclude either that the student I heard the story from was confusing two of her teachers, or that Napoleon tried out every cello that came through Paris. :rolleyes:

Ha! That’s a funny thought.

”Maybe this one will play in tune!”

Parisot played the Feuermann Strad, although my understanding is he didn't own it. I know this because I happened to meet him by accident in Francais' shop in the early 70's.

Rene had done some work on it for him, and he asked me to play it so he could listen (to the cello!)