Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

"E. Serdet 1890 Paris" Thoughts on ID?

23 hours ago, Amateur Dieudonne said:

@ reepicheep

Is that a figure 8 or infinity symbol I see marked on the inside back at the the treble C bout?

Or is it just some smudgy/grainy mark? 

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/340737-infinity-symbol-stamped/&tab=comments#comment-811225

No, it is not a deliberate mark. Just filth.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, morgana said:

The violin looks nice. The bow looks like a bow. The cat looks like my Clovis, who is Jamaican, layed back, greedy, selfish, cute, 15 and 4 months old, and if he could eat constantly, he would. His excrement smells worse than a cow biar, full of cows.

The violin looks likely to play very well. If set up with strong strings. It's quite old and a good wide ebony fingerboard like Yahoudi liked, will really help it.

Looks like Ivoroid tip on the bow. It's well carved, to the throat, the head is like a Tubbs type bullnose. But the fittings with the bronzy copper look like 1930s factory crap. If you got rid of them, it could be resurrected but its not worth very much and not a bow of quality, just about serviceable for a project bow to doll up practice for a bow restorer who can learn cambering, straightening, rehairing, etc. And flogging it to someone for about £50, but it is nothing I would use, as a professional because the wood is bouncy, heavy, head, stiff at frog end and too thin at the balance point.

Thanks Morgana!   The cat was thought to be female by his previous owners of eleven years, so he was named Beulah.  We took him to the vet for the first time and the vet informed us that Beulah is in fact a male :)  Of course I didn't change his name.  He's got the typical Tuxedo attitude but is also very affectionate... when he needs something from you! 

We've determined the bow is Nippon, and it's bent.  Ah well.   

The top is being glued back on today so I'm very interested to see how it will sound! 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, Amateur Dieudonne said:

@ reepicheep

Is that a figure 8 or infinity symbol I see marked on the inside back at the the treble C bout?

Or is it just some smudgy/grainy mark? 

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/340737-infinity-symbol-stamped/&tab=comments#comment-811225

Wow I hadn't noticed that!  But yeah, just schmutz.  

On 1/6/2019 at 11:43 PM, reepicheep said:

Thanks Morgana!   The cat was thought to be female by his previous owners of eleven years, so he was named Beulah.  We took him to the vet for the first time and the vet informed us that Beulah is in fact a male :)  Of course I didn't change his name.  He's got the typical Tuxedo attitude but is also very affectionate... when he needs something from you! 

We've determined the bow is Nippon, and it's bent.  Ah well.   

The top is being glued back on today so I'm very interested to see how it will sound! 

sorry not answered until now, luv. If the bow was made by an itinerant European worker in Japan in the early 1900s then if it has no cracks then it is definitely worth getting cambered straightened and a good hairing etc. flog it to the Japanese as they are v interested in collecting their bows and instruments. it will play well, I assure you.

Good on you rescuing an old, farty cat who is a rat pack tuxedo lad. Nice one. He be cool and shwingin lol!

On 3/19/2019 at 5:32 PM, morgana said:

sorry not answered until now, luv. If the bow was made by an itinerant European worker in Japan in the early 1900s then if it has no cracks then it is definitely worth getting cambered straightened and a good hairing etc. flog it to the Japanese as they are v interested in collecting their bows and instruments. it will play well, I assure you.

Good on you rescuing an old, farty cat who is a rat pack tuxedo lad. Nice one. He be cool and shwingin lol!

Ohh!  that's an idea... I might know somebody who can do that job for me!  

Beulah a.k.a. B-Dog is such a suave character!  I believe the Rat Pack would refer to him as "koo-koo" ;) 

Is that a job offer Reepi babeee

Yourself if I am not mistaken does a quality job of superiority over dem der bows. Don't hide your light under a bushel luv!

BDog, v. Cool awww swarve and sophisticated cat. Cute,

My effluence valved smelly old cat is so laid back a Jamaican lad who come around said He be Caribbean. He be faster than Bolt though to dat food tray man when he here dat cat food laid down. And then it's gas mask time soon after..

euuughhh...

lol