Thomas Coleman

Thomas Coleman's bench

Wow Tommmy!... Great looking varnish job!!...would love to hear this fiddle ring...are you satisfied with this one at this point? any issues? Stunning fiddle. Congrats!!!

On 6/21/2019 at 3:55 PM, lpr5184 said:

Wow Tommmy!... Great looking varnish job!!...would love to hear this fiddle ring...are you satisfied with this one at this point? any issues? Stunning fiddle. Congrats!!!

Thanks for the kind words E.  I hope to get a recording of a talented player soon.  I am mostly satisfied.  A few cosmetic issues that I would like to improve.  It sounds balanced and responds well.  Stay tuned (hopefully).

On 6/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, Rue said:

Awesome!

Thanks Rue!

This is way cool! I like the varnish color. After this endeavor you must be proficient in pegs, nuts and bridges! Unlike the violin family I bet it was not easy to find all of the setup info.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you achieve the color of your varnish. From an earlier post I guess you are using the Robeson varnish system (balsam ground).

1 hour ago, scordatura said:

This is way cool! I like the varnish color. After this endeavor you must be proficient in pegs, nuts and bridges! Unlike the violin family I bet it was not easy to find all of the setup info.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you achieve the color of your varnish. From an earlier post I guess you are using the Robeson varnish system (balsam ground).

Wow, the bone nuts!  I've done many bone nuts and saddles for guitar but these in particular were a lot of work.  Five in total.  I really wanted the bone aesthetic, bone is historically accurate, and bone is a little more "slippery" than ebony, which I thought could improve tune-ability on a notoriously hard to tune instrument (scordatura :blink:!).  Information about every aspect of the instrument was hard to find!  I scoured every corner of the internet to make this.  But i've wanted to make one for so long.  I'm happy it's done.  I'm considering another, improving on some things that I learned.  Set up, for me, was a bear.

I am using Joe's varnish.  I'm mostly pleased with my varnish job ( all a reflection of my skills, not Joe's varnish).  It's a matter of sheen and the rubbing out.  I have a lot to learn but objectively, it still looks nice.

1 hour ago, Urban Luthier said:

Simply stunning! 

Thank you UL!

1 hour ago, joerobson said:

Tommy,

This turned out very well.   Whay do you want to change on the sheen?

Joe

I guess not so much the sheen but the rubbing out and polishing in general.  I'm always leery of over polishing because I'm usually happy with the texture of the varnish.  I just have a "look" in my minds eye, or that I see on some other instruments, that I have a hard time achieving.  It's getting there though.  Thanks for the compliments and help Joe.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, Three13 said:

That's gorgeous - I hope to hear a recording here sometime soon...

Thank you!  here is a small clip of my friend Patrick Ahlberg playing it.  In retrospect I wish I had filmed a little longer but....oh well.

I'm very pleased with how it sounds and several good players have said nice things about it. 

EDIT!  SCROLL LOWER.  Jeffrey please delete this vid?

While waiting for this to download, I would suggest that you post to YouTube to avoid this download issue.

...almost done...  OK,  it's done...

Sounds cool.  Nice fiddling.  I have nothing in my background to compare it to, but it does sound neat.

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

While waiting for this to download, I would suggest that you post to YouTube to avoid this download issue.

...almost done...  OK,  it's done...

Sounds cool.  Nice fiddling.  I have nothing in my background to compare it to, but it does sound neat.

Thanks Don, I was wondering about that.  Here is a Youtube link

On 6/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, Thomas Coleman said:

I guess not so much the sheen but the rubbing out and polishing in general.  I'm always leery of over polishing because I'm usually happy with the texture of the varnish.  I just have a "look" in my minds eye, or that I see on some other instruments, that I have a hard time achieving.  It's getting there though.  Thanks for the compliments and help Joe.

Next time we will work together more on dry brush polishing techniques.

Thanks! Yes sir.  I really like it.  I've recommended  the David Finck book several times on Mnet but since you ask...there is a new edition of his "Making and Using Wooden Planes" that just came out.  Not only are excellent instructions given to make a wooden plane but the book is chock full of useful woodworking tips and techniques.