Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Coleman

Thomas Coleman's bench

On 1/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, lpr5184 said:

Wow, ...great stuff..keep it coming

On 1/16/2019 at 3:28 AM, Húslař said:

Beauty work! I am watching :D

Thanks.  Moving along a little.  Got the bar in and the box closed.  On to the neck.  Up 'til  now i've been pretty comfortable but now I'm entering into an area of this instrument that I'm a wee bit less confident about.  There is a lot to consider.  I have a grasp on most things so it should move along relatively hiccup free.  But as @Advocatus Diabolimight say, "The Devil is in the Details".

edit: Due to my lack of skills, the order got messed up.  You get the picture though (punny?)

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Coleman said:

Thanks.  Moving along a little.  Got the bar in and the box closed.  On to the neck.  Up 'til  now i've been pretty comfortable but now I'm entering into an area of this instrument that I'm a wee bit less confident about.  There is a lot to consider.  I have a grasp on most things so it should move along relatively hiccup free.  But as @Advocatus Diabolimight say, "The Devil is in the Details".

edit: Due to my lack of skills, the order got messed up.  You get the picture though (punny?)

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

Can't wait to see it finished!

A bit more progress.  The going has been slow.  My wife and I are just about to close on a new house and between that (packing) and the very cold wintery weather we've been having, I'm not as far along as I would like.  I'd bet that this is the first viola d'amore to ever have a carbon fiber rod in the neck.  Probably.  Maybe.

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

Cool scroll (in the making).  I haven't put in a carbon fiber rod in the neck yet.  I know others do and have been giving it some thought.

Thanks Jim.  Carbon rods are easy to do and they make a lot of sense to me both from a structural standpoint and an acoustic standpoint.  I've heard some argument that a downside is that future repair persons may run a saw into the rod during neck removal/grafts so I make sure and extend the rod under the nut so that it becomes apparent if the nut is removed.  I also run the rod out the back of the neck root so that an observant person will be able to see it although I do usually paint that area flat black.

I like the pierced scroll, where did you get the plans?...or is this your own design??

Your workmanship is stellar...Thanks for documenting!

Thanks for the kind words E.  I thought the pierced scroll would be a good idea seeings how I don't have the skills to carve a kopf.  As a side note, I'm considering another v'da immediately after this one and commissioning a blindfolded lady.  Anyway, the pierced scroll should help to lighten that end a bit.  After corresponding with several v'da players who, not surprisingly, told me that the weight or lack of it is very important, it seemed prudent.  The actual design is not mine and can be found on many many viola da gambas and I just kinda extrapolated it from some photos that I found on the interwebs.  There are several variations on it and of course, being ignorant of these things, I chose the most difficult to do with the piercing going right up into the eye.  It's not technically difficult but its hard to find the right tools and I'd give anything to have a small assortment of incannel gouges about now.  Some designs don't pierce all the way into the eye but stop short and then continue in more of a violin style.  Oh well, I'm in it now but it has me cursing.  It'll turn out fine in the end (knock on wood).

I like searching and looking at different scrolls online and then mentally figuring out how to carve them. Seeing your work here I have no doubt it'll turn out fine. Great job!

Progress has been painfully slow.  I'm in the midst of a new home purchase/ move.  Painting, moving, unpacking, new floors etc etc.  I had hoped to have the v'da in the lightbox during all of this but, well, life.  Here is some progress.  I practiced carving some wee flowers that will probably go on the end of the scroll eyes.  Now time to make some bone nuts.  4 in total.  

Edit.   Ach!  sorry for the huge (in dimension, it's actually short) video!  I tried to remove it after posting but couldn't figure out how. 

IMG_5681.jpg

4EFBD5E0-1549-4C39-99A7-1DD976C215AA.JPG

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 10:53 AM, James Claseman said:

Wow.  Quite impressive work.

Sorry for the late response.  Thank you.  Between this post and the last I moved to a new home and have been swamped with moving and setting up the new house and shop.  I've finally started to work on the v'da in earnest once again.  Here's some photos of where I'm at. 

nut is hand vise.jpg

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

scroll flower.jpg

IMG_5888.JPG

Thanks for the kind words Evan.  I guess we're our own harshest critics.  I disagree about it being better than what you do.  Have you even seen your thread about bent wood tops? 

Balsam ground.  I'm disappointed in the change of pace that moving shop caused but, c'est la vie.  I'm almost done varnishing and about to start making the tailpiece.  Meanwhile, my new yard, house and shop are all coming along nicely.  Lots of birds and flowers!

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG