Sign in to follow this  
Greg F.

Bow wood

Sorry in this sense a heavy wood, as you know there are hundreds of woods called ironwood. . Im almost certain this wood is Cumaru (also known as Brazilian teak etc) ,still sold by one or two German timber dealers for bows.

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Im almost certain this wood is Cumaru (also known as Brazilian teak etc) ,still sold by one or two German timber dealers for bows.

Do you have some more samples of this wood, especially aged examples? I'm familiar with it more from some 1930s or later bows, always unsure what to think of it. The long streaks look similar to Abeille, but somehow more light-brownish?

Screw in underslides have been around for about 200 years, though pins are far  more common after last quarter of 19th century in French bows unless tortoiseshell mounted. German bows have used both pins and screws side by side up until the present .

7 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Screw in underslides have been around for about 200 years, though pins are far  more common after last quarter of 19th century in French bows unless tortoiseshell mounted. German bows have used both pins and screws side by side up until the present .

Thanks for the info.  My understanding of small screws is that they were rather tedious to make (prior to the invention of automatic screw making machines circa 1850) and were avoided (or reduced in number) in some applications (such as watches) when possible.  So is it fair to assume the pre-1850 (or so) screws for the underslide would be less common and, if present, have a noticeably hand made look?

1 hour ago, Greg F. said:

After rehairing it weighs around 59.5 g.  Not a bad bow.  Straight, good camber, draws a decent sound.  A keeper for me.

Greg, do you mind sharing a couple of “after” pictures? I really enjoy seeing the transformation from “old and filthy” to “fresh hair and polish”

Brings to mind “the touch of the master’s hand”

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

Greg, do you mind sharing a couple of “after” pictures? I really enjoy seeing the transformation from “old and filthy” to “fresh hair and polish”

Brings to mind “the touch of the master’s hand”

It wasn't very dirty (all things considered) and as a rule I don't polish the metal bits (some "patina" is ok by me).   The hair plug at the tip had to be dug out (a really tight fit and some very old rosin).   The wood, though not pernambuco, has a rather nice look to it, especially at the head (the pics above don't really show the color exactly).   I'll post a fresh pic soon.