Sign in to follow this  
with_joerg

End button reamer

Sorry for this probably very basic question. Is there something like a violin end button reamer? If yes, what are the measurements of this? Or, is it just the peg reamer that is also used for the end button?

5 minutes ago, with_joerg said:

Sorry for this probably very basic question. Is there something like a violin end button reamer? If yes, what are the measurements of this? Or, is it just the peg reamer that is also used for the end button?

I use the peg reamer. This is of course not viable for cellos, where a separate reamer is necessary.

Pegs are generally oversized so you will need a standard 4/4 peg shaver which can also be used to shave the endpin.  After you match the shaver to the reamer is useful to mark the reamer in 'red' where you should stop for violin pegs and in 'black' where you should stop for end pins.  Generally endpins have a thicker diameter than pegs.

8 hours ago, with_joerg said:

The reamer is the tool you use to make the tapered hole for a peg, endbutton, or endpin. The peg shaver is the tool you use to trim pegs and endbuttons to size and to the same taper as the reamer. 

6 hours ago, with_joerg said:

Thanks. Sorry to ask one more stupid question. The whole for the end pin, how deep would that be?

It should be deep enough that the end button is tight in the hole just before the collar would stop it from going deeper.  As stated before, GO SLOW.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:54 PM, catnip said:

Pegs are generally oversized so you will need a standard 4/4 peg shaver which can also be used to shave the endpin.  After you match the shaver to the reamer is useful to mark the reamer in 'red' where you should stop for violin pegs and in 'black' where you should stop for end pins.  Generally endpins have a thicker diameter than pegs.

Sorry, to push this old fred one moree time to the top. Sorry.

How would I matrch the shaver to the reamer? I cannot find anything written anywhere.

15 minutes ago, with_joerg said:

How would I matrch the shaver to the reamer? I cannot find anything written anywhere.

If you insert the reamer into the shaver and try to wiggle it around a little, that will tell you if the tapers are matched. No wiggle means they are, wiggle means they aren't. If they are not, you can loosen the screws that hold the blade and adjust the blade position until the wiggle is gone. Best wishes!

33 minutes ago, with_joerg said:

15 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

If you insert the reamer into the shaver and try to wiggle it around a little, that will tell you if the tapers are matched. No wiggle means they are, wiggle means they aren't. If they are not, you can loosen the screws that hold the blade and adjust the blade position until the wiggle is gone. Best wishes!

This is only the beginning, then you have to do some tests by adjusting the blade a little by little to get a fine shavings and the correct cone.  To understand if it is perfect you have to make a reamed hole in a piece of maple (or in a test pegbox in case of pegs) and make some test sticks inserting them in the reamed hole until you get a perfect match without wiggle.

Long and annoying work<_<, it requires a lot of patience....unless you have peg shapers with fine blade adjustment screws like one of these : https://violintools.com/product/the-alberti-peg-shaper/

2 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

This is only the beginning, then you have to do some tests by adjusting the blade a little by little to get a fine shavings and the correct cone.  To understand if it is perfect you have to make a reamed hole in a piece of maple (or in a test pegbox in case of pegs) and make some test sticks inserting them in the reamed hole until you get a perfect match without wiggle.

Long and annoying work<_<, it requires a lot of patience....unless you have peg shapers with fine blade adjustment screws like one of these : https://violintools.com/product/the-alberti-peg-shaper/

Thank you for filling in the blanks, Davide! I use the Berbuer shaver, which works rather differently than the conventional block shavers or the albertis, so my perspective is a bit skewed.

2 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Thank you for filling in the blanks, Davide! I use the Berbuer shaver, which works rather differently than the conventional block shavers or the albertis, so my perspective is a bit skewed.

Well, the Berbuer is top of the line, even more versatile and easy to regulate but also more expensive than the Alberti,  which already costs a lot for a non-professional.

I still use the "normal" ones with three blades  that are very annoying to adjust and really need a lot of patience.....<_<

Sooner or later I should upgrade:D

2 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Well, the Berbuer is top of the line, even more versatile and easy to regulate but also more expensive than the Alberti,  which already costs a lot for a non-professional.

I still use the "normal" ones with three blades  that are very annoying to adjust and really need a lot of patience.....<_<

Sooner or later I should upgrade:D

Davide, speaking as a very serious admirer of your work, and having watched most if not all of your videos:

I don't think you need to change anything!

17 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

If you do this make sure the shaper blade lines up with one of the cut out slots in the reamer or you will not get accurate information and will dull your shaper blade as well. Do not turn the reamer in the shaper hole with a blade installed.

16 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Davide, speaking as a very serious admirer of your work, and having watched most if not all of your videos:

I don't think you need to change anything!

Thanks, but when I see well-made and conceived tools I feel like I must have them ... I suspect I have developed an addiction from nice tools:)

1 hour ago, Davide Sora said:

Thanks, but when I see well-made and conceived tools I feel like I must have them ... I suspect I have developed an addiction from nice tools:)

I understand completely. I must share your addiction!

IMG_20190318_091154~2.jpg

22 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I understand completely. I must share your addiction!

IMG_20190318_091154~2.jpg

Truly beautiful gouges set.:wub:

I find it hard to stop myself from buying them, but I already have too many......perhaps only one ......:P

10 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Truly beautiful gouges set.:wub:

I find it hard to stop myself from buying them, but I already have too many......perhaps only one ......:P

I studied your gouge list, then ordered the sweeps I needed from Karlsson. They are many thousands of times better than the Chinese gouges I was using until now.