Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Laser arching visualization

I haven't used mine in a while so I got it out, (Black and Decker actually, not Stanley) it looks a lot like yours Arglebargle. I'm glad you found something.

I think the laser line is easier to view in a photo where as in real life it is an intense sort of line to look at.

4 hours ago, DonLeister said:

I haven't used mine in a while so I got it out, (Black and Decker actually, not Stanley) it looks a lot like yours Arglebargle. I'm glad you found something.

I think the laser line is easier to view in a photo where as in real life it is an intense sort of line to look at.

what about using light sun shads to cleanup the view?

8 hours ago, DonLeister said:

I used it a little yesterday while arching a cello, and with the lights on in the shop it is not at all hard to look at. With the lights off it is a bit bright, but gives a nice clear image of the contour.

I see it as just another tool in the tool box. It won't be the only (or even the most useful) thing I use, but I'm glad I have it. I don't use arching templates, so seeing clearly is helpful.

1 hour ago, arglebargle said:

I used it a little yesterday while arching a cello, and with the lights on in the shop it is not at all hard to look at. With the lights off it is a bit bright, but gives a nice clear image of the contour.

I see it as just another tool in the tool box. It won't be the only (or even the most useful) thing I use, but I'm glad I have it. I don't use arching templates, so seeing clearly is helpful.

What's wrong with using arching templates?

46 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Asking Santa for arching templates isn't going to work.  But you can ask for a laser level, and they're much more fun to play with.

2 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

There is nothing wrong with arching templates. I never said there was. I just don't use them. I was trained to do the archings by eye (among other tools) and that's the way I've always done it.

41 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

There is nothing wrong with arching templates. I never said there was. I just don't use them. I was trained to do the archings by eye (among other tools) and that's the way I've always done it.

Well if you've done arching by eye in why bother with lasers?

4 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Well if you've done arching by eye in why bother with lasers?

Well, as the title suggests, it helps me "visualize" the arch. As in seeing the shape, contours, and recurve. As well as any high spots or distortions from side to side. Much in the same way a contour marker can do. Much in the same way a ruler and backlighting can do. Much in the same way a chain can do. The laser is not arching the plates for me, but helping me see how the arch is progressing. And as I've said, it is only one (and a very recent one) of the tools I use. Time will tell if it proves to be useful to me. Right now I'm having fun with it. 

The best part?  You don't have to use one. ;)

I bought two metal pin  contour gauges from Lee Valley when they were clearing them out in favour of the plastic variety.  Rather than welding them together I just cannibalized the pins and made my own bar holder from aluminum.  I lined the inside with felt and adjusted the pressure so that the pins move quite easily.  The problem with some metal pin contour gauges is that they become very stiff and can damage soft spruce if you force the gauge .  It is a 14.5 inch gauge which I can use to copy long back arches of existing violins.

1724031867_IMG_02871.thumb.JPG.1a56d12ff23578851d4f7ed51cc5247d.JPG