Maestronet Forums

Wm. Lewis bow makers

Today a customer brought in a nice Ficker cello and Wm Lewis bow ca. 1966. The cello bow is quite nice, pernambuco, silver/ebony. There's no maker's name attached to it, or the typical "Germany" stamped on the underside of the stick. I'm guessing Lewis imported bows back in the day, I'm also aware Frank Kovanda worked in the shop until sometime after WWII. 

Is anyone aware as to who may have produced bows for Lewis during that era?

I know Ouchard had left around '61, and not sure if his bows were branded with his name or Lewis. Not sure either if the Bazin shop was exporting bows at that time. The cello is a '66, and the bow may or may not have been purchased at the same time, I'm guessing it likely was.

Nice stick, unoriginal button and a horribly-installed tip, which I've since removed.

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, GennadyF. said:

Just wondering, if anyone here aside from Dwight, have a Frank Kovanda bow? and is it branded F. KOVANDA? personal model or copy of Tourte or Peccatte or other? numbered? 

No, but I knew Frank 1975 - 1977, at one time he used to work for Weisshaar as well and helped me make my first bow which I ended up making too whippy. It would have been far worse without his help. Great guy and very open if you liked bows and bowmaking. Hans had a nice bow collection and he would come in to study them.

Edited by Bruce Carlson
readability and emphasis
1 hour ago, Bruce Carlson said:

No, but I knew Frank 1975 - 1977, at one time he used to work for Weisshaar as well and helped me make my first bow which I ended up making too whippy. It would have been far worse without his help. Great guy and very open if you liked bows and bowmaking. Hans had a nice bow collection and he would come in to study them.

That is amazing to know. Thank you for sharing!!