Sign in to follow this  
pjham

For your amusement - Desperate Dad

This is the kids "ski violin".  It's hard to destroy and doesn't make much noise unless amplified. Perfect for holiday accommodation and travel in suit case. No excuse not to do some practise.

"Dad, the bow won't fit in my case so I won't take a violin on holiday."  OH NO thinks dad, all that money on lessons wasted.  What can I do?  Plane leaves soon.

But don't worry, it is a very cheap carbon fibre bow. (Or was, anyway).  Hopefully I'll get my drill bit back after the holiday.

IMG_1608.jpeg

IMG_1607.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

3 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

"Dad, my bow doesn't balance properly anymore. I don't think I'll take it on holiday."

Dad rushes off to a kite shop to buy the correct diameter carbon fibre rod...

1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

A bow that only gets three inches shorter is surely not almost entirely useless.

When this bow is folded it has exactly the dimension of a violin. If you could fit a violin, then you could fit this bow!

9 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

"Dad, my bow doesn't balance properly anymore. I don't think I'll take it on holiday."

Actually the balance isn't too bad, but the weight is excessive and it is not quite straight anymore.  I think I should have cut it on an angle so the rotation lines up automatically.

4 hours ago, jandepora said:

Why don't use one of thisIMG_20180808_173743.thumb.jpg.0f123af2e9d9018668d222e9256d372c.jpgIMG_20180808_173825.thumb.jpg.d11e3de0e4ad86b1abd6acfda2785785.jpg

IMG_20180808_174037.thumb.jpg.b693b246bb4e3af07edcc939941eba23.jpgIMG_20180808_173906.thumb.jpg.400d4399f68cdf8613d8fc9e6a06278e.jpgIMG_20180808_173951.thumb.jpg.2f9a0409f9135d92dc9a1ca2af49b6be.jpg

Yes, this would have been ideal.  I'll keep my eye out for one.  I may have to spend more time on the cut CF bow when she gets back from holiday, probably a lighter wooden dowel instead of the drill bit with a length of pipe on the outside.  I initially tried a length of sound post dowel but it was too flexible.

Alternatively:

1.  A 1/4 bow is short enough to pack.  I just tried it out on my full size violin.  PITA but it can be done.

2. Buy a cheap bow when you get to where you are going.  Leave it behind.

3. Rent a bow when you get to where you are going. Take it back before you leave.

4. Take a bow with you.  In a separate bow case.  I've done this - bought a bow in Europe...brought it home with me.  No problem.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Alternatively:

1.  A 1/4 bow is short enough to pack.  I just tried it out on my full size violin.  PITA but it can be done.

2. Buy a cheap bow when you get to where you are going.  Leave it behind.

3. Rent a bow when you get to where you are going. Take it back before you leave.

4. Take a bow with you.  In a separate bow case.  I've done this - bought a bow in Europe...brought it home with me.  No problem.

Very good suggestions, and  superior to my solution.

Sadly when put to the child in question, the answer to questions one, two and four was NO. I'm sure I would have got a similar response to number three.

So the solution used was more to do with psychology than practicality.  "You can lead a teenager to water, but you can't make them think."

Hopefully I can persuade her to buy a cheap "disposable" bow if the CF one doesn't work out, but I've got my doubts.

4 hours ago, pjham said:

So the solution used was more to do with psychology than practicality.  "You can lead a teenager to water, but you can't make them think."

The original quote was from Dorothy Parker, who when asked on a quiz show to make up an aphorism using the word "horticulture" came up with "you can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think!"

4 hours ago, pjham said:

"You can lead a teenager to water, but you can't make them think."

Yup, but occasionally, you can trick your teenager into thinking.

But then they will probably resent you for many years, if they figure out what you did. :lol:

A Yamaha electric came with me on many ski trips, but only if I had some important concerts coming up right afterwards, which for some infuriating reason was almost every time! I'd shut myself in the hotel bathroom or borrow a conference room from 4am to 7am before meeting everyone for breakfast and hitting the slopes. Fun! A few days off from practicing during the holidays isn't necessarily fatal, and can be beneficial, for a teenage student or a pro. Of course if your ski trip is going to last a month...

11 hours ago, Michael Appleman said:

A Yamaha electric came with me on many ski trips, but only if I had some important concerts coming up right afterwards, which for some infuriating reason was almost every time! I'd shut myself in the hotel bathroom or borrow a conference room from 4am to 7am before meeting everyone for breakfast and hitting the slopes. Fun! A few days off from practicing during the holidays isn't necessarily fatal, and can be beneficial, for a teenage student or a pro. Of course if your ski trip is going to last a month...

By a staggering coincidence her holiday is for a month.  Not skiing this time although I still call these violins the "ski violins" since I originally acquired them for ski holidays.  We have a Yamaha electric but for this purpose I prefer a cheap violin due to the significant risk of damage or loss.  (Our luggage doesn't get treated very well on our ski trips.)

18 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Yup, but occasionally, you can trick your teenager into thinking.

But then they will probably resent you for many years, if they figure out what you did. :lol:

And even worse, she may in the future discover this thread and have documentary evidence of my duplicity!