Women in violin making, part 3

Well - since we won't tease Jeffrey further - and since this thread will be deleted regardless...I gotta ask:

Did you know that a Christmas  cactus isn't necessarily a Christmas cactus?

There are 3 types of this kind of cactus:

1. Thanksgiving cactus - often mislabeled and sold as a Christmas cactus. Schlumbergera truncata. Has leaves with points on the edges and flowers that present in a vertical orientation. Blooms in the autumn.

2. Christmas cactus - Schlumbergera bridgesii has leaves with tear-drop scalloped edges and flowers that hang vertically. Blooms around Christmas.

Both can be found sold under the defunct name Zygocactus.

S.  x buckleyi is a hybrid of the two.

3. Easter cactus -  Rhipsalidopsis (or Hatiora or...) gaertneri has leaves with scalloped edges and star shaped flowers. Blooms in spring - and might bloom again in the fall.

All come in a variety of colours.

They also all look awesome when placed beside violin cases and music stands.

Thank you for humoring me and today's botanical discovery.^_^

16 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well - since we won't tease Jeffrey further - and since this thread will be deleted regardless...I gotta ask:

No, I didn't. Freakin' plant experts, please don't mess with my curmudgeonly bliss. :lol:

My Mom had a "Christmas Cactus" which bloomed around Christmas time, so that's all that matters. Other opinions and realities must be false. ;)

5 hours ago, Rue said:

1. Thanksgiving cactus - often mislabeled and sold as a Christmas cactus. Schlumbergera truncata. Has leaves with points on the edges and flowers that present in a vertical orientation. Blooms in the autumn.

2. Christmas cactus - Schlumbergera bridgesii has leaves with tear-drop scalloped edges and flowers that hang vertically. Blooms around Christmas.

3. Easter cactus -  Rhipsalidopsis (or Hatiora or...) gaertneri has leaves with scalloped edges and star shaped flowers. Blooms in spring - and might bloom again in the fall.

I love tropical forest cacti. There are 6-9 species depending on which taxonomic theories you prefer. Although my favorite Succulents are living stones (Lithop spp.). 

Sorry David, plant geeks are cool. 

Rue, forgive my italics. My iPhone autocorrects are not forgiving. 

Cheers,

Jim

12 hours ago, Rue said:

Is there a special Thanksgiving, Christmas or an Easter tequila?

11 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I love tropical forest cacti. There are 6-9 species depending on which taxonomic theories you prefer. Although my favorite Succulents are living stones (Lithop spp.). 

Sorry David, plant geeks are cool. 

Rue, forgive my italics. My iPhone autocorrects are not forgiving. 

Cheers,

Jim

You're forgiven! ^_^

20181205_124927.jpg

16 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

I should put lights on my prickly pears.

Yes you should, and post a picture when you do!

17 hours ago, David Burgess said:

No, I didn't. Freakin' plant experts, please don't mess with my curmudgeonly bliss. :lol:

My Mom had a "Christmas Cactus" which bloomed around Christmas time, so that's all that matters. Other opinions and realities must be false. ;)

It's the thought that counts...:lol:

5 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Well of course there is!  Cheers! :P

As long as were talking about plants, I’d like to just throw in that my wife and I just spent a week in Taiwan and I got to eat wax apples, which are gloriously delicious and so fragile that they don’t travel, so if you want to eat one you have to go to Taiwan.

I’m also very fond of Cherimoya And it seems that the species that is grown in Mexico and sold in the United States is different from the species that is grown in Taiwan and sold in Taiwan, and believe me, the Taiwanese version is better.

Not for nothing did the Portuguese name Taiwan, “the island of fruit”

OK, now back to cactus…

20 hours ago, David Burgess said:

curmudgeonly

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

arglebargle

all's I got to say it that is some spectacular word choice. congrats to you and several others (Rue's obfuscatoring?). I've got some learning to do, or are a bunch of maestronetters are retired or practicing English professors...............(need a new forum for word of the day???!!)

maybe i should get rid of my excuse of passing grade 12 English and stop relying on spell check and use real words and grammar

:)

9 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

With apologies to Rue, no, all tequila production boringly depends on a single agave species (and possibly a single cultivar of that species), the Blue Agave (Agave tequilana),  all grown in certain legally defined districts in Mexico.  The millions of plants grown for their "honey water" aren't allowed to bloom at all, even on holidays, but become virgin sacrifices to the liquor industry.  Some of the leaves severed from the cores used to make tequila are then planted to become the next crop.

Neither are agaves cacti, BTW.  :)

Here in the Alberta prairies we have 2 species of cacti that I am familiar with and have been poked by:

the prickly pear and the pincushion .

The pincushion cactus is the worst as there is no way you can remove the tiny spines without breaking them.

Then you have pain and itching for a several days and occasionally one infects and comes out that way.

But they will never go right through your shoe  -  as the prickly pear can if you use runners.

My dogs are rarely bothered by them; they run around and just lift a paw as soon as they touch a prickly pear.

Mostly they see them and avoid them. The pincushions don't seem to get through their pads. But once in a while there is a bit of limping for a day or 2 without me finding any reason for it so maybe they have a tiny spine in a paw somewhere.

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

With apologies to Rue, no, all tequila production boringly depends on a single agave species (and possibly a single cultivar of that species), the Blue Agave (Agave tequilana),  all grown in certain legally defined districts in Mexico.  The millions of plants grown for their "honey water" aren't allowed to bloom at all, even on holidays, but become virgin sacrifices to the liquor industry.  Some of the leaves severed from the cores used to make tequila are then planted to become the next crop.

Neither are agaves cacti, BTW.  :)

Tsk...if I garnish my glass of tequila with:

1. Candy cane = Christmas tequila 

2 Pumpkin candy = Thanksgiving tequila

3. Chocolate egg = Easter tequila 

The worm can stay...it's aseasonal...:P

30 minutes ago, Rue said:

Tsk...if I garnish my glass of tequila with:

1. Candy cane = Christmas tequila 

2 Pumpkin candy = Thanksgiving tequila

3. Chocolate egg = Easter tequila 

The worm can stay...it's aseasonal...:P

Oh, you won't find tequila with a worm, at least since Mexico changed its laws a few years back.  Con gusano is (or was, maybe other mezcals have it now) peculiar to Oaxaca mezcal brands such as Monte Alban, which I could swear used to be sold as tequila, until the term "tequila" got legally limited to Jalisco-bottled blue agave based liquor.  :)