Sign in to follow this  
gtd

Decorative violin. Whats up?

Came across this ad in the local online Kijiji (similar to Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace etc). Wondering about your thoughts about this violin are. Also was wondering what the purpose or incentive to decorate a violin as such. Wouldn't it likely have a detrimental effect on sound? Another thought, how do you read back stories behind a violin? Take it as truth if it seems reasonable, suspect everyone?

sorry for the limited pictures, they weren't taken by me :)

Description

I am looking to sell/swap/trade this amazing 4/4 Violin. This was presentation model handbuilt for a friend in the late 1990's. It was never played due to tragic circumstances. It was given to me, but I've never played it, but kept it in storage. Full Maple back double purfled, fully inlaid with Mother of Pearl. The front is Spruce with Rosewood chin rest, tailpiece, fingerboard and tuning pegs. These are all inlaid as well. In new condition. Comes with case and a bow. Please don't ask me how it sounds, because I have no clue as I can not play it. Please make your offer or trade. As for trades, I'm looking for a vintage C Melody Saxophone (In playing condition), fountain pens, new or vintage, or a unique coffee and end tables, in mint condition, or try your trade.  I can not deliver or send by mail. In person only.

$_59 (1).JPG

$_59 (2).JPG

$_59 (3).JPG

$_59 (4).JPG

$_59 (5).JPG

$_59 (6).JPG

$_59.JPG

Painting violins is not new. It probably does not harm sound much or at all. To my eyes the instrument is a monstrosity with or without paint, and I am fairly neutral about whether the decoration makes it better or worse. If you like it, and it is an instrument which could sound decent in your hands if had been left without the decoration, I would think you could still make it sound good with the decocration. Just my tuppence worth, I am neither maker, dealer not expert.

2 hours ago, Eloffe said:

it looks like an unwanted Chinese violin

so you don't believe the backstory? anyone else? i'm not believing it either

49 minutes ago, John_London said:

monstrosity with or without paint

agreed totally, even looks cheap when you visualize it without the 'decorations'

49 minutes ago, John_London said:

it is an instrument which could sound decent in your hands

thanks but, i won't and wouldn't touch it. i'll stick to repairing and playing my own 

PS: I've leveled up? no more 12 hour wait before members flood in with helpful tips, tricks, opinions etc. etc.

Edited by gtd
level up?

The mother-of-pearl inlay is typically Chinese. Very well done, and not at all cheap - but also definitely Chinese. Like the side table we have at home, bought by my Korean wife.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, gtd said:

As for trades, I'm looking for a vintage C Melody Saxophone (In playing condition), fountain pens, new or vintage, or a unique coffee and end tables

Why not just add four legs.  Problem solved...

19 minutes ago, vathek said:

The ad seems a bit too dramatic; seems like a made up story, but maybe not.

What do you think is made up?

"What do you think is made up?" :

"handbuilt for a friend"

Looks like cheap chinese factory fiddle to me.

Maybe the inlay was done for a friend.

I'm pretty sure, in the 1990s, with the internet opening up and all sorts of global commerce happening, I remember people being all excited and having stuff 'made' for them.  Still happening.  So, if someone commissioned a violin, with inlay, I don't see why that's unbelievable.   

The fact that it's a 'cheap' violin is besides the point.

Besides...he's not asking much for it...

Bingo, you've found it.

Looks like the same one even down to the case. Looks like their story is being shot to pieces. 

50 minutes ago, gtd said:

... Looks like their story is being shot to pieces. 

:mellow:

I don't care what the "real" story is - but nothing has been disproved and certainly not "shot to pieces".

It was barely even a "story" to begin with! ^_^

It was never played due to tragic circumstances.

The violin in pjham's post does look like it's from the same supplier. I wonder how they can sell it for $89. If you paid someone in the US to add that sort of inlay to a violin it would cost a hell of a lot more.

40 minutes ago, vathek said:

It was never played due to tragic circumstances.

I double dare you to disprove that! :P

40 minutes ago, vathek said:

I wonder how they can sell it for $89. If you paid someone in the US to add that sort of inlay to a violin it would cost a hell of a lot more.

Really really cheap labour...

2 hours ago, Rue said:

I double dare you to disprove that! :P

Well, given that the instrument in question probably isn't very old... Also, define tragic circumstances, to the seller it could mean he paid too much for it somewhere which, while tragic in its own way, would be misleading at the least.