Amateur Maker

Power Sharpeners

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Amateur Maker said:

It appears to me if you read the description of each the Tormek at twice the price still doesn't include jigs.  That is at least the way I read it.

I think if you check with a retailer like woodcraft, the tormeks do come with a few of the jigs.  Mine did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what do you think about the Tormeks sharpening abilities for gouges?  Was it worth the money?  With the jigs, you received can you sharpen the gouges?  Anything else I should know about it would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im following this with interest too because I want to upgrade . There is also a diamond sharpening setup that “never” wears out and doesn’t require water . I don’t know where I saw it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amateur Maker said:

So what do you think about the Tormeks sharpening abilities for gouges?  Was it worth the money?  With the jigs, you received can you sharpen the gouges?  Anything else I should know about it would be nice.

Tormek will sharpen your gouges with a hollow grind. If you can work with that, great. I've used a tormek for over 20 years and I find it perfect for my needs and the way I work. My gouges are sharp. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

Well with that said I guess I should maybe look for a used Tormek.  A new one is sure pricey then there are the attachments.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Amateur Maker said:

Well with that said I guess I should maybe look for a used Tormek.  A new one is sure pricey then there are the attachments.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

I bought my Tormek 2000 from a wannabe bowl maker.  Probably only used once then sat in his garage for 7 years.  Quick search showed one in your area.  A little patience and one will turn up that you like for the price/quality you're looking for.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/search/tla?query=tormek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got Work Sharp system. Can't recommend it. Looks great on paper but:

1. Turntable bearings poor, disc wobbles;

2. Sanding discs rapidly overheat tools and are messy to change. Magnetic diamond disc alternatives (and cloth disc for polishing) actually work decently and run very cool but pricey and diamonds wear too quickly for the price.

3. Bar which allows Tormek jigs works but also very wobbly.

4. Best luck I've had is with the flat platform that mounts next to the turntable and then using it in conjunction with my Veritas rolling jigs. But the plane of the platform needs to be parallel with turntable and the level adjustment is just weird, it's not positive or repeatable at all.

By the time you've incrementally bought all the attachments trying to get it working right, you realize you could have just bought a better system in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is pricey, but for me it works easily and reliably. The turn table is dead flat, so no wobbles. I use my finger near to the grinding point and apply light pressure ... that way as soon as I feel any heat developing, i can lift the chisel off and water cool. The nice part is that there are 2 thicknesses of plates, The plate for shaping and grinding grits is thicker than the ones for sharpening and polishing ... that way when you switch from a coarse grit to fine grit you automatically create the fine edge bevel. Each plate can have grit on both sides so it is easy to flip to the next grit. I can reshape to finish polish a chisel in less than 5 minutes. Touch up sharpening is a mere minute or two.

Pricey, yes, but the quality and ease of use is worth it... especially considering that time is money!

these are the grits I use...

Grinding 80 & 150 grit 

Sharpening 320 grit &1200 grit 

Polishing 9 & 1 micron

doing gouges is essentially freehand, but I do use the guide bar as a reference point.

 Cheers, Mat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I'm missing something, above link is US site and cost is USD $389.

Your first link was Maple Leaf  in upper right and cost Canadian $479.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Tormek toy and there is an overlap in the leather on the stropping wheel. It may not be everyone's luck, but that's what I got.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

On 12/3/2018 at 1:23 AM, Nick Allen said:

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 7:14 PM, Amateur Maker said:

Well with that said I guess I should maybe look for a used Tormek.  A new one is sure pricey then there are the attachments.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, Nick Allen said:

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

1 hour ago, wm_crash said:

I have the Tormek toy and there is an overlap in the leather on the stropping wheel. It may not be everyone's luck, but that's what I got.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

 

Mmm - is this the forum that extols the virtues of fettling a handplane flat and square for best performance?

I looked at the picture of the Rikon and my first thoughts were "Well, that cast base is an improvement on the folded sheet steel base of the Tormek."

On seams in the stropping leather - "So what! On the Tormek I had to spent time dressing the leather wheel to get it to run "flip" free".

It's almost an article of faith with me that nothing will not become better following a strip, clean, judicious stoning here and there and a careful reassembly.

I mislaid my Mitutoyo venier caliper and nipped down to the local hardware store and bought a Chinese replacement - it took ~2 hours to get both the internal and external jaws to shut light-tight and on zero.

A cheap pneumatic die grinder gained a good few extra thousands of rpm after some TLC.

Do not expect perfection from anyone but yourself. That way there's only 1 person to be held responsible and he's always close to hand for a dressing down.

cheers edi

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, bengreen said:

Unless I'm missing something, above link is US site and cost is USD $389.

Your first link was Maple Leaf  in upper right and cost Canadian $479.

 

oops... thanks for the catch... Mat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, David Burgess said:

The Tormek can get a little messier than I like, when using the water bath. But the water bath does a great job of preventing overheating.

Yup - if Brian hadn't run off to California, I might just have made a pattern and moulded up a fibreglass bath with a flange to intercept that pesky drip.  I'd been thinking about doing it for a couple of years.

cheers edi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 2:22 AM, edi malinaric said:

 

 

I mislaid my Mitutoyo venier caliper and nipped down to the local hardware store and bought a Chinese replacement - it took ~2 hours to get both the internal and external jaws to shut light-tight and on zero.

A cheap pneumatic die grinder gained a good few extra thousands of rpm after some TLC.

Do not expect perfection from anyone but yourself. That way there's only 1 person to be held responsible and he's always close to hand for a dressing down.

cheers edi

 

 

What is your hourly rate? For most violin makers/ repairers, ~2 hours is quite a bit of money. It's been said here before, but time is money, and for some it is worth extra of the latter to save on the former. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.