2 hours ago, Amateur Maker said:

It appears to me if you read the description of each the Tormek at twice the price still doesn't include jigs.  That is at least the way I read it.

I think if you check with a retailer like woodcraft, the tormeks do come with a few of the jigs.  Mine did.

So what do you think about the Tormeks sharpening abilities for gouges?  Was it worth the money?  With the jigs, you received can you sharpen the gouges?  Anything else I should know about it would be nice.

Im following this with interest too because I want to upgrade . There is also a diamond sharpening setup that “never” wears out and doesn’t require water . I don’t know where I saw it 

1 hour ago, Amateur Maker said:

So what do you think about the Tormeks sharpening abilities for gouges?  Was it worth the money?  With the jigs, you received can you sharpen the gouges?  Anything else I should know about it would be nice.

Tormek will sharpen your gouges with a hollow grind. If you can work with that, great. I've used a tormek for over 20 years and I find it perfect for my needs and the way I work. My gouges are sharp. 

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

10 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

As a current Rockler employee I can say that the Rikon is a waste of money. There is a giant seam on the stropping wheel, and the whole thing feels like it's going to collapse at any moment. We have a crap ton of them at my work and can't give them away. 

Well with that said I guess I should maybe look for a used Tormek.  A new one is sure pricey then there are the attachments.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

40 minutes ago, Amateur Maker said:

Well with that said I guess I should maybe look for a used Tormek.  A new one is sure pricey then there are the attachments.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

I bought my Tormek 2000 from a wannabe bowl maker.  Probably only used once then sat in his garage for 7 years.  Quick search showed one in your area.  A little patience and one will turn up that you like for the price/quality you're looking for.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/search/tla?query=tormek