Listening to the sounds of violinmaking

David Burgess  recently mentioned that he listens to the sound of his sharpening to help him

get the right angle of tool on stone and I realized I intuitively do the same thing. 

I  listen to the sound of all my tools working the wood to help me find and maintain the best angle,

position or speed of whatever I am doing.  This is only possible in a quiet shop and I have

come to cherish silence and have moved twice to escape noise pollution some of which is unwanted musical sound.

I wonder about those who work with recorded music playing in their shop and how they compensate for

the loss of an important sensory input.

I am also interested in hearing others thoughts about listening to such subtle sounds in a noisy world.

I work in silence in my shop, although I do have a stereo system there,  I realized that when I want to listen to music I want to do just that, and when I work I want to concentrate on my work and yes, the sounds of wood and tools  in harmony are quite rewarding.

Cheers, Mat