Maestronet Forums

Teaching hobby violinmaking

violins88

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition. Students buy their own wood. I have found it highly rewarding. I am a retired science teacher, so maybe that helps. Most of my students have been over 60, but I do have  a 27 year-old. It’s a great way to get to know people. They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

3 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition. Students buy their own wood. I have found it highly rewarding. I am a retired science teacher, so maybe that helps. Most of my students have been over 60, but I do have  a 27 year-old. It’s a great way to get to know people. They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

Bravo, John!

3 violins completed. 4 more should be finished by March 2019. These 4 are now working on scroll carving. We used Brian Derber’s book for plate graduations. 

Some students have very little experience using their hands to make things. Others are in a big hurry, like I was when I first started.  Learning which direction the grain of the wood is going, and how not to cut “uphill “ seem to be difficult to learn. 

Some are prone to cutting themselves. I now keep super glue handy.

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

3 violins completed. 4 more should be finished by March 2019. These 4 are now working on scroll carving. We used Brian Derber’s book for plate graduations. 

Some students have very little experience using their hands to make things. Others are in a big hurry, like I was when I first started.  Learning which direction the grain of the wood is going, and how not to cut “uphill “ seem to be difficult to learn. 

Some are prone to cutting themselves. I now keep super glue handy.

FYI: A liberal sprinkle of cayenne pepper stops bleeding pretty immediately, even pretty serious cuts. Any cut is pretty much stopped in 10 seconds, so it's good stuff to have around, definitely! Then it'll be much easier to glue.

9 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition...

...They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

I don't mean to sound rude, and maybe I'm the only poster who doesn't know who you are. That said, is this something you're qualified to do? If so, why don't you organize a summer workshop? I don't live too far away, and I'd love to learn that skill, even on a rudimentary basis.

21 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

is this something you're qualified to do? 

9 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking

(bold added to emphasize my point)
Anyone with a hobby is qualified to teach their hobby to anyone else. Have some peanuts, Atl. They go great with a beer aswell, to make you relax. It's weekend.  

Happy for you, Violins88. That is really generous of you. I will sign up as a student for your europe-tour, as I am far behind, on just one completed instrument. :) 

3 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

I don't mean to sound rude, and maybe I'm the only poster who doesn't know who you are. That said, is this something you're qualified to do? If so, why don't you organize a summer workshop? I don't live too far away, and I'd love to learn that skill, even on a rudimentary basis.

I have made 20 violins over a period of 35 years. I am not qualified to teach professional violinmaking, but I am qualified to teach hobby violinmaking. Pm me please. Also look at jpschmidtviolins.com.

john