Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Teaching hobby violinmaking


violins88
 Share

Recommended Posts

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition. Students buy their own wood. I have found it highly rewarding. I am a retired science teacher, so maybe that helps. Most of my students have been over 60, but I do have  a 27 year-old. It’s a great way to get to know people. They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition. Students buy their own wood. I have found it highly rewarding. I am a retired science teacher, so maybe that helps. Most of my students have been over 60, but I do have  a 27 year-old. It’s a great way to get to know people. They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

.

Bravo, John!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 violins completed. 4 more should be finished by March 2019. These 4 are now working on scroll carving. We used Brian Derber’s book for plate graduations. 

Some students have very little experience using their hands to make things. Others are in a big hurry, like I was when I first started.  Learning which direction the grain of the wood is going, and how not to cut “uphill “ seem to be difficult to learn. 

Some are prone to cutting themselves. I now keep super glue handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

3 violins completed. 4 more should be finished by March 2019. These 4 are now working on scroll carving. We used Brian Derber’s book for plate graduations. 

Some students have very little experience using their hands to make things. Others are in a big hurry, like I was when I first started.  Learning which direction the grain of the wood is going, and how not to cut “uphill “ seem to be difficult to learn. 

Some are prone to cutting themselves. I now keep super glue handy.

FYI: A liberal sprinkle of cayenne pepper stops bleeding pretty immediately, even pretty serious cuts. Any cut is pretty much stopped in 10 seconds, so it's good stuff to have around, definitely! Then it'll be much easier to glue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking? Free of tuition...

  ...They really appreciate my knowledge sharing.

.

I don't mean to sound rude, and maybe I'm the only poster who doesn't know who you are. That said, is this something you're qualified to do? If so, why don't you organize a summer workshop? I don't live too far away, and I'd love to learn that skill, even on a rudimentary basis.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

 is this something you're qualified to do? 

 

 

9 hours ago, violins88 said:

For the past 4 years, I have been teaching hobby violinmaking

(bold added to emphasize my point)
Anyone with a hobby is qualified to teach their hobby to anyone else. Have some peanuts, Atl. They go great with a beer aswell, to make you relax. It's weekend.  

Happy for you, Violins88. That is really generous of you. I will sign up as a student for your europe-tour, as I am far behind, on just one completed instrument. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

I don't mean to sound rude, and maybe I'm the only poster who doesn't know who you are. That said, is this something you're qualified to do? If so, why don't you organize a summer workshop? I don't live too far away, and I'd love to learn that skill, even on a rudimentary basis.

 

I have made 20 violins over a period of 35 years. I am not qualified to teach professional violinmaking, but I am qualified to teach hobby violinmaking. Pm me please. Also look at jpschmidtviolins.com.

john

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...