Sign in to follow this  
fiddlecollector

Another beautiful collection of Bows - Millant

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

These are incredible bows, some of the prices seem pretty low.

At the last Millant sale, the prices realised were generally more than twice the estimates, and often more than what one would have considered a fair retail price.

But they were great examples ...and with the best kind of provenance.

Is this an auction? Or are these bows for sale directly? Or are they not for sale at all and those are just the prices that would be expected if they were? I have two splendid bows,, but a couple in this collection really make me want to risk annoying my wife. Some guys go out and buy expensive sail boats. I would tend to go out and buy expensive cello bows. But the wife involved would probably just be just as annoyed.

They are for sale but as Martin pointed out most will sell for double the estimate as some are considered the best examples of the maker's work. Plus most are illustrated in l'Archet and have Millant papers. From a rich collector's point of view these are interesting bows.

I have to say though that the previous Millant auction had more interesting items, considering the best of the best was sold privately or so I've heard.

One word: just wow! I'm dreaming of a silver mounted V. Fetique exhibition cello bow. Why are we to assume these bows will go for double their stated value? Isn't that unnecessarily pessimistic?

10 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

Why are we to assume these bows will go for double their stated value? Isn't that unnecessarily pessimistic?

Just based on the last sale of items belonging to Bernard Millant, which was December 2017 ...

The "stated value" is not a value but an auction estimate. These bows (or most of them) are reference examples featured in "L'Archet", and from the personal collection of Bernard Millant. The majority are in mint condition. The people buying are not buying for resale but for their own collections, and some of these bows are "must have".

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

A naive question rising in my mind is: Why is the collection sold at all (beside that somebody might need money^_^)?

I suppose his family has more use for money than for a collection of bows!

On 11/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, Blank face said:

A naive question rising in my mind is: Why is the collection sold at all (beside that somebody might need money^_^)?

I looked him up and he died last year. I didn’t know that and that’s why this sale is presumably happening.

Born: May 13, 1929, Paris, France

Died: April 5, 2017

stunning bows.

8 hours ago, BassClef said:

I looked him up and he died last year. I didn’t know that and that’s why this sale is presumably happening.

Born: May 13, 1929, Paris, France

Died: April 5, 2017

stunning bows.

It's somehow sad that the existence of such an important collection of reference is usually bound at one person and not kept in a museum or alike, for public knowledge and preservation, instead of spread all over the world now.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, Blank face said:

It's somehow sad that the existence of such an important collection of reference is usually bound at one person and not kept in a museum or alike, for public knowledge and preservation, instead of spread all over the world now.

"It was my father’s wish that his collection of bows and violins, which was his pride and joy throughout his life, was split and sold as individual lots at auction. In this way, the pleasure he experienced acquiring each of these pieces can be passed on to individual owners who share his tastes and choices. This wonderful collection was built over a period of 50 years; today we break it up. Such is the way with works of art, they go from one owner to the next, from home to home, sometimes travelling across continents and between concert halls… it is their fate. These instruments are here to be played, loved and admired. These violins and bows will again be a source of joy for musicians and collectors alike."

Catherine Millant

As you said before, the fate of many pieces will rather be to become locked up somewhere as a collectible investment than to be "loved and played. source of joy", looking at these things in a more realistic than over-sentimental way. One could meditate now if the fate of "cultural heritage" should depend of the wishes of individual collectors (how wise and important they ever might have been), especially if these wishes are recorded by heires.

But not my business.

This is the most profitable way to sell the lot I presume, which is most likely why it's being done this way. It would be nice if a super rich person or foundation were to purchase them all and display them, but since everything will sell above market value, that's a lot of money wasted by a foundation or whatever. Yet I also wish it could somehow happen.

18 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

The two Tourte  violin bows went for 125000Euros + premium and 264000 Euros + premium

And "violin stick and button" by NL Tourte for 71 920, world record for Fonclasue at 83,080.

8 hours ago, BassClef said:

There was one small child sized bow. I can't locate it in the results, maybe someone else has spotted it?

It was a 1/4 size "school of Bazin" (sic) went for €558