Sign in to follow this  
germain

A. Vigneron Bow

I really need your opinion on a bow I own. It is an original A. Vigneron bow. Authenticity was confirmed by Rene Morel, Hans Nebel to name a few. The last one called it " a Vigneron run over by a Mack Truck". It has a crack and a ring was put to hold it. See photo right next to the adjusting screw.  The frog is not original probably German. The condition doesn't affect the playing obviously. It is an amazing playing bow. Since I am doing mostly orchestral work lately about 5 years ago I switched to an Arcus Cadenza Gold model which is about 44 grams vs the Vigneron 60 grams. I find it much less fatiguing for long rehearsals and concerts. Also somehow the Arcus draws more sound than any wooden bow I've tested so I am not going back to a wooden bow. I am not sure what to ask for the Vigneron if I try to sell it. It is ideal for a player and obviously not so much for a collector. I don't want to give it away but also considering the damage I want the offering price to be fare. Any advise highly appreciated...

DSC09788.jpg

DSC09790.jpg

I have strong feelings about CF but if you like it, that’s fine.

contact Tarisio, Brompton’s, Skinner and Sotheby’s. Send detailed photos and ask for their estimate of sale. That will probably be the low end. Then contact some large violin shops and see what they say.

50 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you say  „I want to sell my old bow, because I bought a plastic one which is much better“, it should be little surprise that you won’t easily find anyone who wants it.

Lol

The metal ring looks as if put over the end only and not inserted. That would make the damake restorable using the "hidden ring" method which was desribed here at some occasions, and it would it make much better sellable. OTOH, wether at an auction or at a shop nor for private buyers a statement like "authenticity was confirmed by bla bla^_^" can buy you much; if you want a reasonable price you have to organize a reliable written certificate by one of the respected experts.

I don’t think you can ask much for a significantly restored Vigneron stick. If it had a current certificate then maybe £3-4k. I agree wholeheartedly with Blank Face that a hearsay attribution is worthless when it comes to selling.

Without one I’d say it’s a very hard sell. The head doesn’t really make me think of JA Vigneron - and isn’t the brand the wrong way up? Maybe it’s the light but the chamfers look rather backwards facing and the transition into the chamfers quite clumsy. I would have thought it was all German ...

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you say  „I want to sell my old bow, because I bought a plastic one which is much better“, it should be little surprise that you won’t easily find anyone who wants it.

That's pretty funny... you are right haha

14 hours ago, ClefLover said:

I love Arcus bows too!  I use an S6 and my son uses an M4. We seem to be a minority in preferring these bows’ weight. 

Arcus bows are amazing. I don't think people give them enough of a chance to get used to them. Instead players dismiss them immediately. Obviously it is a different feeling playing with Arcus and one needs at least a month to adjust if not more... 

14 hours ago, martin swan said:

The head doesn’t really make me think of JA Vigneron - and isn’t the brand the wrong way up? Maybe it’s the light but the chamfers look rather backwards facing and the transition into the chamfers quite clumsy. I would have thought it was all German ...

Adjusting my glasses you could be right....:ph34r: