Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Green buckthorn berries as a source of pigment

On 11/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, jezzupe said:

No, I haven't , but what I do is very simple and would require no purchase from me. Simply take the leaves when they are their most purple, going into fall seems to be best out here, and then dry them out well, stuff them into a container with some alc and just let them soak for a couple weeks, then strain...

You'll end up with a very dark purple liquid that when looked at in a clear container,with the light passing through shows a dichroic effect in that in the dark purple you will see green. It is the exact color and color shift that one see's in a " purple green Color change sapphire" ...

Now I do not claim that the dichroic effect seen in the alc translates in a visible way once on the wood, but the bottom line is that several coats can be applied to the raw wood, or on top of a compatible non film building ground to achieve a rather purplish base color that once varnished and allowed to be uv exposed takes on a nice brownish color

A similar look can be achieved using red wine, but must be more careful as there is water in it.

The antithicins { spelling} or purple pigment found in all purple plant things is fairly universal in the way it behaves, it is more lightfast than many would think once 1. it has been coated and 2. has gone through its color shift from purple to brown.

Again sample sticks can give you an idea...for example, on a stick, several coats of the either red wine, or the thundercloud juice alone, then a spot with that with 2 coats of varnish ontop, then one with just varnish....generally what you will see over a prolonged period of time is....the spot that is just raw wine or juice will be very faded light brown spot, however when observing the juice/varnish compared to just varnish, you will see the juice/ varnish one will be darker and have a more pronounced/altered/brown color

if you are to use this on an instrument

1. do not do too many coats in succession, particularly with wine, but repeated soaking with alc has its issues to, so if you want to apply many,many coats for deep saturation, you must do it over the course of several days with the applications spread out.

2, expect to be concerned with the look after it has been done, it may be very blotchy and purple, resist trying to touch anything up, just soldier on as if it were a clear colored ground and you will see in short order the base and top coats will even the look out and the browning will start to happen fairly quickly.

About the thundercloud juice, you will know you juice is right once you take a leaf out and see that the purple color has been extracted into alc and the leaf is more green than purple. I am not sure how the natural purple pigment and the green chlorophyll suspended in the alc works with the light refraction to demonstrate a color change shift, but it does, again, I do not see the optical effect transferred to the wood, but it does make for a neat parlor trick...

edit; the juice may also be mixed into shellac to tint it, but only advanced varnishers should attempt multiple colored spirit coats

Just some thoughts you may find useful or already know.  Leaves will have the most pigments in the summer (depending on climate). Leaves don’t actually turn colors in the fall, rather they begin to lose color. Chlorophyll is reabsorbed by the plants first leaving more anthocyanin behind. Thus, the purple of the leaf that was always there is revealed. Summer leaves may possibly have more anthocyanin in the summer before the tree begins absorbing  photosynthetic leading into autumn. 

Cheers,

Jim

4 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

And the green buckthorn berry pigment in its final form.

20181117_103834.jpg

Hope to see some on a sample with varnish....

26 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

You shall, Jezzupe.  You shall.

cool...and final thing about the thundercloud juice, or any extraction in a similar way, in order to achieve a dense solution one should smash as many leaves into less rather more alcohol. If you have a large amount of alc, the solution will change color, but when applied to wood will be rather pale...

so to get a color rich solution use less alc, as well as stir/slosh the leaves every once in awhile...

it's been awhile since I've shown any varnish experiments, I'm working on an interesting one using liquid gold suspended in hydorchloric acid , hydrogen peroxide and bleach, then applied, then neutralized with sodium metabisulfite and water 

you can get the basic idea from this video of gold recovery...

the solution he comes up with towards the end{about 15;30 mark}, instead of extracting that solution to obtain the gold out of the liquid, thats when it would be applied too the wood, then neutralized, and in essence should precipitate the gold in a nano kinda way into the wood pores...or at least that's the plan, its kinda like aqua regia but much safer, less corrosive solution...bottom line it turns gold into a liquid solution that can be brushed onto wood, again, so it seems