Sign in to follow this  
Wood Butcher

Building

I see a lot of references on MN to building a violin.

I would consider building a house "building", and "making" a violin would seem a more realistic term.
For those who do consider themselves violin builders, do you use this term on your business cards and letterheads?
Do you keep all of your tools in the back of a truck? ;)

In America, we call people who build houses carpenters. In the UK I believe they are called builders. 

But to build I think is usually used in the context of erecting some kind of structure. I.e. I built a shed, or I built a tower. 

It'd be a tad out of place to say I built a sandwich, but not technically incorrect either. 

It's getting more complicated by the minute :lol:

A carpenter here would make something from wood, a builder using bricks or stone.

Depending on how tall that sandwich is, building could be the correct term. I've seen an American show on tv called Man v Food, some of the sandwiches and burgers needed sticks as scaffolding to hold it up!

I think one could build a violin from a kit of premade parts, but one would make a violin when starting from the raw wood.

Our modern society so insulates the consumer from the dirty and difficult aspects of the production of most common goods

that all appreciation of craft work is waning.

from dictionary .com

Build - Verb 

construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time.

This reminds me of something in the world of computer programming.   In the licensed internal code of an IBM midrange there is a command called materialize object.  

So get out there and materialize a violin shaped object! 

4 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I am one of a few who uses the word build instead of make.  

#1     I am working on my third violin make.

#2     I am working on my third violin build.

Which sentence sounds right when using proper English?

Feel free to go through some old posts of mine and replace the word build or building with make or making.  I hope it will make better sense after doing so.

Guitar makers occasionally refer to their work as a "build", my current "build", etc. I haven't heard "guitar buider" from these people, but if I did, what's not to understand? Has a successful violin maker built a reputation or built a clientele?

My fiddles are fiddles, not buildings. So I don't build them, I make them.

Though English is not my native language, I feel that "build" has a hint of hype. Which I hate. To me, making fiddles is "down to earth".

Because the craft consists of so may diverse arts, I relate to my work in a variety of ways throughout the process. My current socioeconomic reality also dictates this to an extent. Sometimes I dream them up. When I'm under the gun I've been known to dash them off. When I'm at my best, I think, I fashion them. 

Build , from old English , as in a building, or structure. Make from the German translating “to put in place”  from the google. it would seem build would be very appropriate to violins as the many individual pieces become a structure, as in building a rifle an engine or a boat, whereas we may say,make the bed, to make a mess , to make noise. We might make a violin ready to play, by setting up the bridge. Building up the bridge would be a very different scenario. Either or ..wouldn’t hang someone over it though. 

When building a house, the work is mostly putting parts together and up. We put parts together when we make violins, too, of course. But most of our actual work is cutting and carving etc., which means removing material.

10 hours ago, Salve Håkedal said:

When building a house, the work is mostly putting parts together and up. We put parts together when we make violins, too, of course. But most of our actual work is cutting and carving etc., which means removing material.

You mean it’s a bit like making a sculpture - you just remove all the bits that don’t look like a violin?

I think that’s why it is considered a build, really: You MAKE all the parts, and from those you BUILD a violin. Making the individual pieces largely consists of removing unwanted material, but the assembly is all constructive. And many even use a kind of scaffolding.

On November 11, 30 Heisei at 7:33 PM, Wood Butcher said:

I would consider building a house "building", and "making" a violin would seem a more realistic term.
For those who do consider themselves violin builders, do you use this term on your business cards and letterheads?
Do you keep all of your tools in the back of a truck? ;)

I don't know any violin maker calling himself builder. However if we translate the second half German word Geigenbauer into English, 'Bauer' means in this context 'builder'. 

In fact in German the word 'Geigenmacher' exists as well. 

(Note: I can't tell you why 'Bauer' means as well 'farmer' in German. )