Sign in to follow this  
Papageno

Hill Strad and Guaneri books

Hey all,

First time poster.

I've heard about the Hill Strad and Guaneri books for a while, and just found someone local who has them.
I have no idea what these are worth though. What would a fair offer for them be?

20181106_171609.jpg

20181106_171619.jpg

20181106_171630.jpg

20181106_171637.jpg

28 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Would you accept the offer of three shillings and a burlap sack of wild oats?

I'm not the one selling them.

I'm just looking for a price so I can buy them haha.
Sorry if this isn't the right place for that!

I've found the Guaneri book online, but I just cant find any price for the Strad anywhere.
Any ideas?

18 hours ago, Papageno said:

I'm not the one selling them.

I'm just looking for a price so I can buy them haha.
Sorry if this isn't the right place for that!

I've found the Guaneri book online, but I just cant find any price for the Strad anywhere.
Any ideas?

You might want to try calling or emailing a luthier or dealer nearby or something. I don't know how receptive to book appraisals they might be, though. 

I think that there is a website for rare book auctions you could reference. 

1 hour ago, yrral esruf said:

Sixty dollars for the two if you're feeling generous, twenty dollars each if your wheeling and dealing.  Books aren't worth too much now with the internet.  I sold some books recently at auction, only got $60 or so for the Hamma, huge book full of pictures.  Several others, which you would think would be worth something, I just said donate or toss as I didn't want to even spend the money to have them shipped back.  

It always depends, for example take a look at the Biddulph del Gesu book. 

these have gone for ~50.00 or so each at auction.  But they usually mix in other books, so the lots go for 100 -200. Yrral is just incorrect.

The Guarneri volume has sold on its own for between $155 and $584 at auctions (Tarisio/T2 in the US and Bromptons/Amati/Gardiner Houlgate in the UK) between February 2015 and June 2018.

The Stradivari volume has sold on its own for between $195 and $295 at auctions in the UK between 2017 and 2018.

I'd pay up to $150 for the pair if it were me.

Hope that helps. 

On 11/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, yrral esruf said:

Sixty dollars for the two if you're feeling generous, twenty dollars each if your wheeling and dealing.  Books aren't worth too much now with the internet.  I sold some books recently at auction, only got $60 or so for the Hamma, huge book full of pictures.  Several others, which you would think would be worth something, I just said donate or toss as I didn't want to even spend the money to have them shipped back.  

The Hill books are much more desirable the new Hamma editions. Much higher quality throughout. The old Hamma editions still get decent money at auction though.