Sign in to follow this  
Michael Szyper

Any recommendation/source of "oxidated" varnish?

Hi,

i am searching for commercially available, naturally darkened varnish by cooking with a natural red - brown color without pigments ( a la Roger Hargrave). Due to a few urgent customer orders I would like to focus therefore on making violins at the moment rather than cooking the varnish by myself.

The only commercial product darkened by cooking i know would be the Old Wood Brescia brown varnish.

Does anybody have tried this varnish or any other idea where to get such kind of varnish?

Thanks to all, 

Michael

5 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Eugene Holtiers varnish is such a varnish.

Thank you Jackson, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Would be there any source within Europe to avoid taxes/duty? I am based in Munich, Germany

I've used the Holtier varnish and it is quite similar to the Hargrave varnish described in the bass book. My experience was that it needs to be applied in very thin coats. The colour on its own is very nice. Here is a sample 

16 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

I've used the Holtier varnish and it is quite similar to the Hargrave varnish described in the bass book. My experience was that it needs to be applied in very thin coats. The colour on its own is very nice. Here is a sample 

Why is it necessary to apply thin coats? Any curing issues? I like to apply few thicker coats to avoid adhesion and crackling issues during alcohol rubbing. ( In this case my Intention is an antiqued look). 

I do multiple thin coats also, and do not antique. That said, I've heard the holtier stuff goes on fine thick with the "fingerpaint" approach. As with anything get some and good around until it makes sense to you. 50ml of the Holtier should do a few fiddles, so you have some room to experiment