Sign in to follow this  
Michael Szyper

Ray Chen plays a modern violin on the latest recording?

Officially he has the Joachim Strad on loan by the Nippon foundation. I looked at the 'Golden age' album cover - to my eyes it looks like a modern del Gesu model from the late 30's, but I may be totally wrong. Of course one could claim that he does not have to record with the violin used for the fotoshootings, but it also does not sound like his Strad.

Does anybody have further information?

Thank you guys,

Michael

I might go and take a look when he plays London at the end of the month. Unfortunately he's also playing Bruch, and in the second half the LPO are playing Pictures at an Exhibition which I'd take great pains to avoid

5 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

to my eyes it looks like a modern del Gesu model from the late 30's

Why do you think late 1930s? Just curious, seems pretty specific, from my screen it looks like it could be much newer.

51 minutes ago, deans said:

Why do you think late 1930s? Just curious, seems pretty specific, from my screen it looks like it could be much newer.

Oh, i mean from his late 1730 period. No idea when this violin has been made ;)

His web page has a contact page, seems like the type of question somebody would be glad to answer. Worst that could happen is nothing.

Thank you guys @JacksonMaberry and @Advocatus Diaboli !

Never heard about Widenhouse before, but for some reason Ray likes his instruments a lot. On the golden age recording the instrument seems to have a lot of power but to my ears it has also this rather edgy and sharp sound especially on the e string which is so common in modern instruments.

But who knows, in the end he recorded with his Strad ;)

if you have a loaned Strad and a couple of contemporary instruments, one would expect the performer to use the Strad on a recording and use the new (and potentially replacable) instrument for on the road, while still mentioning in the programme book you're playing a Strad. Otherwise the audience won't enjoy it as much....

9 hours ago, Herman West said:

if you have a loaned Strad and a couple of contemporary instruments, one would expect the performer to use the Strad on a recording and use the new (and potentially replacable) instrument for on the road, while still mentioning in the programme book you're playing a Strad. Otherwise the audience won't enjoy it as much....

The performer might use the new one for the recordings and the road and just mention the Strad in the program book.

49 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

The performer might use the new one for the recordings and the road and just mention the Strad in the program book.

Exactly. Sam Z once said that lot of his customers still claim playing a Strad, or dG , sometimes years after they returned the instrument.

16 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

Never heard about Widenhouse before, but for some reason Ray likes his instruments a lot. On the golden age recording the instrument seems to have a lot of power but to my ears it has also this rather edgy and sharp sound especially on the e string which is so common in modern instruments.

Ray Chen's teacher, Aaron Rosand, is well known as endorsing Widenhouse - many of Rosand's students have Widenhouse instruments (usually commissioned or purchased during their study with Rosand). I think Rosand himself has at least 2 or 3 Widenhouse violins, all modeled after the Kochanski.

10 hours ago, devaraja42 said:

Ray Chen's teacher, Aaron Rosand, is well known as endorsing Widenhouse - many of Rosand's students have Widenhouse instruments (usually commissioned or purchased during their study with Rosand). I think Rosand himself has at least 2 or 3 Widenhouse violins, all modeled after the Kochanski

Very interesting,  thank you. So i should look for an endorser ;)

a violin must speak for itself.  if a fine violinist uses a violin that you made than you should feel blessed that your lives work has meaning.  You and I will be dust, may God have mercy on us.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:18 AM, matesic said:

I might go and take a look when he plays London at the end of the month. Unfortunately he's also playing Bruch, and in the second half the LPO are playing Pictures at an Exhibition which I'd take great pains to avoid

You dislike Bruch? And Pictures? The Bruch is not my favorite violin concerto, and I’m always interested in hearing something I don’t know at all or hear only rarely, but it’s unusual to hear such a strong dislike. 

Although I do feel much the same about the Brahms or Tchaikovsky.

Regarding Pictures, I like the piece very much but I would love to hear the Stokowski arrangement(? I think the other major arrangement is his.) It would be fascinating to compare.

14 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Ironically it's how they felt about each other isn't it? :-)

1 minute ago, StanY said:

Ironically it's how they felt about each other isn't it? :-)

There’s actually a funny story about that. They each hated the others music, and when they met, They felt very uncomfortable with each other until they mustered up the courage to admit that they hated each other’s music, and then they got along fine.

They both liked the Bruch concerto, BTW, Although Brahms was rather cruel to Bruch more than once.

I heard him play a concert here in Cremona this year and on the program was written Stradivari, but I was very close to the stage and I thought visually it was more a Guarneri than Strad. The thing was clarified the day after by this informal test at the museum, my compliments to Kurt, the violin sounded really good!

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

You dislike Bruch? And Pictures? The Bruch is not my favorite violin concerto, and I’m always interested in hearing something I don’t know at all or hear only rarely, but it’s unusual to hear such a strong dislike. 

Regarding Pictures, I like the piece very much but I would love to hear the Stokowski arrangement(? I think the other major arrangement is his.) It would be fascinating to compare.

I reached the end of the end with the Bruch G minor when it was almost the only CD that was played in the operating theatre where I often worked long hours. It had a kick-back but apparently nobody else noticed and I wasn't senior enough to substitute another disc. Pictures...no, don't get me started. Wikipedia lists 26 orchestral arrangements and I don't want to hear any of them. But Tchaikovsky I like, Brahms I love. 

2 hours ago, matesic said:

But Tchaikovsky I like, Brahms I love. 

Your comment made me laugh. Like any high school kid in the 70s I had to have music playing, and playing loud, while I did my homework. But of course I listened to classical. One evening I was listening to a symphony by Arthur Honegger, No. five I think, and playing it loud. My dad stomped into my room with his hands over his ears and said, “Turn off that damn nonsense! Play some Brahms!”

I turned down the music but responded to my father, “I hate Brahms.”

He responded with a look that was equal parts shock, disgust, and pity, and said, “well, that says more about you than it says about Brahms.”

Its 40 years later and I still laugh about that exchange.

Still don’t like Brahms, but I’m not so keen on Honneger anymore.

We grow...

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

...One evening I was listening to a symphony by Arthur Honegger, No. five I think, and playing it loud. My dad stomped into my room with his hands over his ears and said, “Turn off that damn nonsense! Play some Brahms!”

I turned down the music but responded to my father, “I hate Brahms.”

He responded with a look that was equal parts shock, disgust, and pity, and said, “well, that says more about you than it says about Brahms.”

Its 40 years later and I still laugh about that exchange.

Still don’t like Brahms, but I’m not so keen on Honneger anymore....

*giggle*

17 hours ago, kurt widenhouse said:

a violin must speak for itself.  if a fine violinist uses a violin that you made than you should feel blessed that your lives work has meaning.  You and I will be dust, may God have mercy on us.

Hi, Kurt.

(For anyone who doesn't already know, Kurt Widenhouse has put out some really nice stuff.) :)

17 hours ago, kurt widenhouse said:

Any cellos?

On 12/3/2019 at 10:09 PM, kurt widenhouse said:

Kurt, I'm getting this message when I try to go to the subpages on your website:

"Your connection is not secure

The owner of 162.241.24.221 has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

Thought you should know about this. 

Welcome to Paradise.  :)