Sign in to follow this  
Shunyata

Arching Templates

I am working on my second violin - so I am a rank beginner.  The arching templates I am using are purchased Dictum Herdim steel templates that were labeled "Stradavari".  I notice that these templates are much more arched than any of the instruments I play. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is there a design feature I should be considering here? 

Sounds like the instruments you play have either a lower arch, or a different curvature to these templates.
No reason why they would be the same, unless of course the instruments you play are meant to be copies of the same Stradivari, from which the Herdim templates were taken.

In my experience the herdim templates are ready for the trash bin. I have a lot of them and they never fit the original. If you want to work with arching templates, then take a Strad poster and make your own templates.

4 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

In my experience the herdim templates are ready for the trash bin. I have a lot of them and they never fit the original. If you want to work with arching templates, then take a Strad poster and make your own templates.

Sadly, Strad posters can be shockingly inaccurate too.

Michael, if you are not using arching templates, then what do you Do? The waist arch in my templates seem ridiculously high.  But short of ditching everything, I don't see what to do.

49 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Sadly, Strad posters can be shockingly inaccurate too.

That's true, but I think that observing the development of the curves is still the most useful thing, rather than wanting to reproduce exactly an arching template, for this reason the posters are still useful and at a low price compared to the most accurate ct scan of the books.

Moreover an arching template change every millimeter along the arch, making it tricky to use effectively.

I would agree with this. Line drawings can be very effective in understanding the arching shapes, and how they flow. If you can keep a mental image of this as you work, then the outcome will have some success.

And without the Strad posters, I think we would be much worse off. It was a great idea, and spread a wealth of valuable information.
They are a great resource, but perhaps let down by the printing technology.

I have been trying my hand at a Del Gesu Keisler inspired violin. The Strad poster was wrong is many essential aspects but you could get the idea.

I also ordered the Herdim templates as another source and found that they had absolutely nothing to do with the instrument. It was just plain ridiculous.