Maestronet Forums

Bow hair is tight

Dan2

21 minutes ago, ClefLover said:

I like your simile... I’d say it’s more like the type of oil to use in your engine.  Say my car suggests 5w-40. The “40” is a given, but the viscosity “5” can be changed with expected climate.  However, most would agree that “0w” is the safest as it serves the best in cold climates while maintaining good function in warm/hot climates.  Why not go on the slightly slack side of this tension prediction?

Because shit breaks with large changes in humidity......just like engines explode when you ignore the engine light!  Hair length changing to that extent means instruments will crack.

2 hours ago, Craigers said:

My guess is that the bow that becomes tight either has a weak stick, very little camber or both. Bows that have strong sticks and a lot of camber, while still effected by humidity changes, are much less likely to become overly tight when the humidity decreases. A good rehairer will take notice of these things when working on the bow and adjust accordingly. But like Jerry said, try to regulate the humidity for the health of your whole setup. 

I use case humidifiers in the winter and the the stick is not soft.  However I bet the camber is not as much on that stick. That never really crossed my mind

Thanks Jerry.

It is over a week and a half since the re-hair and since the air was humid enough to take the pressure off the stick.  I have checked the bow regularly and whilst it seems the humidity is fluctuating somewhat it must rarely go high enough to allow the hair to lengthen enough to take the tension off the stick with the frog still attached.  

My understanding is that, in addition to lengthening and shortening with changes in humidity,  the horse hair on a bow will stretch permanently with use over time.   Do you know or does anyone else know by how much the hair will stretch with use and over what period of time?

Thanks

Bow

2 minutes ago, Dan2 said:

Thanks Jerry.

It is over a week and a half since the re-hair and since the air was humid enough to take the pressure off the stick.  I have checked the bow regularly and whilst it seems the humidity is fluctuating somewhat it must rarely go high enough to allow the hair to lengthen enough to take the tension off the stick with the frog still attached.  

My understanding is that, in addition to lengthening and shortening with changes in humidity,  the horse hair on a bow will stretch permanently with use over time.   Do you know or does anyone else know by how much the hair will stretch with use and over what period of time?

Thanks

Bow

The hair will certainly stretch over time, although it will stretch unevenly.  Where are you located?  In looking at your location on Weather.com you can find out the temperature, RH, or better yet the dew point.  This will tell us how odd the weather is now where you are compared to known parameters.  

Thanks Jerry,

On the day of the re-hair the relative humidity at 9am was 92%.  That was the highest of the month and the only really wet weather  day  we have had in a few months with about 13mm of rain.

The 9am mean for the month is 66% and the lowest for the month at that time has been 47%.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:40 PM, Dan2 said:

Thanks Jerry,

On the day of the re-hair the relative humidity at 9am was 92%.  That was the highest of the month and the only really wet weather  day  we have had in a few months with about 13mm of rain.

The 9am mean for the month is 66% and the lowest for the month at that time has been 47%.

RH at what temperature?  You should have the rehair be the correct length at 50% RH at room temperature, at the least; it sounds as though it is not.  It is time to take the bow back and allow the rehairer the courtesy of making it right.

Hi Jerry,

Yes, it will have to go back I'm afraid.  I'm happy to pay again for it to be re-done because it was fine when I checked it 5 minutes after picking it up.

On the day of the re-hair and at 9am when the relative humidity was 92%,  the air temperature was 16.9 degrees c.  I am unable to get records for the dew point going back unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Dan2 said:

Hi Jerry,

Yes, it will have to go back I'm afraid.  I'm happy to pay again for it to be re-done because it was fine when I checked it 5 minutes after picking it up.

On the day of the re-hair and at 9am when the relative humidity was 92%,  the air temperature was 16.9 degrees c.  I am unable to get records for the dew point going back unfortunately.

That is very high humidity.  The person doing the work really should control the humidity in her/his studio in order to be able to predict the needed hair length.  We send bows all over and guarantee the length of the hair for the life of the hair, I do not think you should have to pay again.  Good luck.

Dan, your current weather report says that the outdoor temperature is 58 F, and your outdoor relative humidity is 49%. That translates to your indoor humidity at 70 F being about 32%, which is lower than I recommend for stringed instruments, especially if the instrument is cycled back and forth between that, and much higher humidity levels.

I agree with Jerry that a shop should at least know the conditions under which the bow is being rehaired, also have some knowledge of the environment the bow will be going into, and set the hair length with both in mind.

Thanks Jerry,

Unfortunately this happened this afternoon whilst the bow was being played. Caused quite a shock apparently!  You can see there is a split of sorts in the white plastic stuff which I presume has caused the hair to come out.  I can't actually figure out how the hair is supposed to hold in the slot? 

edit: ok so there is a little wooden wedge that has come out which I just found on the floor that explains how the hair is held into the slot.  I'm guessing the stress of the hair pulling back on the plastic during playing (warm room) caused the plastic to split and the wedge to pop out?

IMG_20181028_190204918.jpg.3102e3f20c96234d4ddfb2b7b1e88118.jpg

53 minutes ago, Dan2 said:

Thanks Jerry,

Unfortunately this happened this afternoon whilst the bow was being played. Caused quite a shock apparently!  You can see there is a split of sorts in the white plastic stuff which I presume has caused the hair to come out.  I can't actually figure out how the hair is supposed to hold in the slot? 

edit: ok so there is a little wooden wedge that has come out which I just found on the floor that explains how the hair is held into the slot.  I'm guessing the stress of the hair pulling back on the plastic during playing (warm room) caused the plastic to split and the wedge to pop out?

IMG_20181028_190204918.jpg.3102e3f20c96234d4ddfb2b7b1e88118.jpg

Sorry to see.  The only thing that caused this is a poor rehair.

Dan, we don't have a way of knowing whether that crack was pre-existing, or was caused by the latest rehair. Ideally, a shop will go over the bow with the customer when the bow comes in, and point out any pre-existing damage. The wedge coming out doesn't suggest a high level of skill though.

Your experience has served as a good warning to those who think a rehair is easy, unreasonably expensive, or something a player wants to take on themself.