Sign in to follow this  
Martin McClean

Unusual scroll

I think there was a French maker who made it like this, unfortunately I can't remember his name. Border of back and top should be the same.

Puglisi in Sicily made it similar but the two instruments I had seen had a blackish brown varnish and were made with less precision. 

54 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

I think there was a French maker who made it like this, unfortunately I can't remember his name. Border of back and top should be the same.

Honore Derazey.

In my experience this type of scroll carving points more to the taste of a particular period than to a maker or a school. I remember Otto Seifert, some early 20th Meinels or nameless "Bohemians" featuring it, as well as French from roughly the same time frame.

22 minutes ago, Martin McClean said:

Not the squared off corners though? 

I meant the scroll, not the corners, but considering the division of labor in Mirecourt and other violin centers of production, scroll might not have always been produced in house.

It's pretty widespread - certainly it pops up on better Bohemian trade instruments, and Carl Zach seems to have done it (not sure if he's strictly Viennese or more Hungarian) ...

Personally i'm not convinced the OP scroll goes with the body, in fact I would go further and say it's a bit improbable.

The body looks Mirecourt-ish but to my eye it's more MK pretending to be French. The purfling is very narrow and it's centred in the corners, the varnish a particular kind of chippy greeny-yellow that I associate with Dölling and the like. It's also rather a German button, kind of spread out towards the bottom and sloping a bit forward.

It looks as if the belly is separated from the ribs/bottom already so it would be possible to seethe inside work (the top, too). Always possible that body and scroll aren't from the same origin, the colours look a bit different at the photos.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

It's pretty widespread - certainly it pops up on better Bohemian trade instruments, and Carl Zach seems to have done it (not sure if he's strictly Viennese or more Hungarian) ...

Personally i'm not convinced the OP scroll goes with the body, in fact I would go further and say it's a bit improbable.

The body looks Mirecourt-ish but to my eye it's more MK pretending to be French. The purfling is very narrow and it's centred in the corners, the varnish a particular kind of chippy greeny-yellow that I associate with Dölling and the like. It's also rather a German button, kind of spread out towards the bottom and sloping a bit forward.

Thanks Martin.  The scroll is definitely original to the instrument,  that's not to say they weren't made in separate shops. 

The varnish is more chestnut /golden brown and not particularly chippy. My photography leaves a lot to be desired! 

I agree re the button and purfling.  The interior is neat and tidy with carefully orientated grain in the block wood etc.

13 hours ago, duane88 said:

or is it a european purchased scroll placed on an american violin?

Possibly, I wasn't there.

Here is the front - very different treatment of the fluting.

American_1890_scroll front.jpg