Sign in to follow this  
tango

Flatening a plane

2 hours ago, Ken_N said:

Ed,

We use cooled compressed air on mills.  Eating chips is the fastest way to ruin your end mill. They work with no moving parts.  I'm sure some high speed mills have it built in. Compressed air goes in, cold air goes to the end, and hot air comes out the small hole on the side.  The tube can get hot. The knob controls split of pressure or cold.  Max cold gives less pressure.

Don, 

The chips WILL stick to the skin.  I've seen them mark paper with a burn, but not catch it on fire.  The heat dies off really fast.  It is cool to watch them twist and change color while they cool. A pipe smoker set a lathe full of plastic chips on fire one day.  That was cool, but it didn't last long.

1867492914_MMS-1117-b-vortex-1-b.jpgmax-width300.thumb.jpeg.fc107731c172e66552c2b941ae3cbf44.jpeg

Hi Ken_N - aah - a Hilsch tube. Every time I do a interference fit I wish that I had built one.

Any idea of the cold side discharge pressure and temperature?

cheers edi

Ed, 

I have no idea. The pressure is down from the 120 psi going in.  Maybe 80 or so on full cold.  It seems that the side port doesn't get as much flow as the cold end. on full tilt.

It's cold enough to make frost.

Cut  and paste on steroids:

The vortex tube, also known as the Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube, is a mechanical device that separates a compressed gas into hot and cold streams. The gas emerging from the "hot" end can reach temperatures of 200 °C, and the gas emerging from the "cold end" can reach −50 °C. It has no moving parts. Wikipedia
image.jpeg.6cb7f5ca7c95519d2cf91dc1ce9aca35.jpeg

On 10/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, duane88 said:

You may find that the hollow is much less with the blade clamped into place. How tight the blade is clamped into place my have a significant effect on the sprung sole, so try to make it like you would normally use it.

Thanks Duane. I will try that