Sign in to follow this  
Ray Weaver

Thoughts on use...or value

First time ever posting pictures. This violin was donated to a project for school kids. A friend who is a violinist is helping them out and wondered if I thought it would be appropriate as a handout instrument for beginning violinists. Or alternatively it could be sold and proceeds go towards clean inexpensive modern instruments for beginner violin classes. Any clues appreciated.

20181008_111732_HDR.jpg

20181008_111804.jpg

20181008_111915.jpg

20181008_114525.jpg

20181008_114501.jpg

As far as "use" goes, I would look hard at setup parameters, looks like it might need at least a bridge and probably soundpost. In one pic it looks like it might have an unusually rounded fingerboard radius (maybe not). Setup and dimension things can wreak havoc on a young player. Just getting it right could cost as much as a decent well setup student instrument. I would take it to the local luthier, see what is needed.

Don't know exactly what it is, but it looks interesting enough. Maybe some better pics and/or showing to somebody.

Thank you, Jacob. That's all I need to know. I forgot to mention it does have a rather large soundpost patch and a repaired bass Bar crack of course. I the label was a Joseph klotz Jr I believe. I will advise them to make use of it in some way other then putting it in the hands of inexperienced students.

20 minutes ago, deans said:

Is the SPP on the top or back? If its on the top it wouldn't bother me too much if its well done.

Sadly it's on the back although it's quite extensive and looks well done. There's some thought of trying to turn it into a baroque violin.

It does look like an interesting old violin. The previous damage would lower its commercial value significantly, however, if the work is well-executed it could be a great opportunity for an advancing player (assuming it’s sound and set up well). I agree that it would be better to set it aside for a more experienced player who can look after it.