Sign in to follow this  
Rue

It's 2018 - how have you been accessing your music?

It's 2018 - how do you access your music?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you primarily use:

• A gramophone?
    • An LP player?
    • Cassette/8-track
    • CD player
    • iPod or equivalent
    • Computer
    • Smartphone with downloads
    • Spotify or equivalent
    • Alexa or equivalent
    • Other

I am in the process of switching my music listening platform :unsure: and am getting conflicting advice. :wacko:

Now I am curious as to how everyone else listens to their music choices. :)

59 minutes ago, _Alex said:

"Pull out your fiddle and play it yourself' should have been one of the options, no?

I thought of that - but it's really hard to play more than one part at a time...and I figured most people don't only ever listen to themselves playing solo violin.

However - if you do, there ways is the "other" option! :)

Listening to a classical FM radio station, followed by video downloads, CD's, and LP's.  :)

I learned in college that I am completely deaf above 16 KZ. That means for me that the worst stereo system in the world is as good as the best.

think of the money I’ve saved!

but I listen on a Panasonic Cassette clock radio, or a CD player.

My left ear (violin side, yes?) upper frequency limit has been way below the right for decades.

Two years ago I got rid of all my vinyl and this year it's the CDs. Just another thousand or two to rip first. The reason I prefer this to abandoning them all and streaming from the web is that I can keep them all hierarchically categorized, e.g. Artists: Violinists: Oistrakh, or Composers: B: Beethoven: String Quartets: Tokyo Quartet

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who still prefers CDs...lol. I like having a "book and library" format.

But - even though I've done very little switching over from format to format  over the years - I'm already tired of it.

I have CDs and I have iTunes/computer/iPod. So my music is already scattered which has been a pain.

Now I'd like to have it all on my Smartphone - so I can listen to whatever I want while on the go.

But - if Spotify is the way to go - and this was one of the recommendations  - maybe it's better to just cave and go with the flow?

I'm unhappy with the looming changes in the music listening world.  I have a large collection of CD's and a large collection of LPs.  I note that there is a rebirth in LP happening now.  Your old rock or pop LP's might be worth some money now.  I have noticed that Johnny Gandelsman has issued a recording of the Bach solo violin music on LP only!  Though I'm 75 years old I can still appreciate the quality of an excellent playback medium over a merely good one.  Despite having a multi-thousand dollar stereo player, I have always felt that no reproduction medium delivers the quality of sound available at a live performance in an excellent hall.   That sort of venue would be my favorite way to listen to music.  Streaming isn't interesting to me because I don't find the quality I want on streaming services.    I'm also unhappy with the trend to streaming services because, in effect, I'm paying every time I listen rather than paying once when I buy the disc.

Does anyone here use the Naxos Music Library for streaming? I suddenly found that my subscription to IMSLP also gave me access to NML and more than 100,000 albums. Naxos have recently changed the relationship but apparently any IMSLP subscriber ($22 pa) still has "free" access to about 38,000. These are public domain works that are represented as work pages on IMSLP, so no Shostakovich or any other composers that died less than 50 years ago.

Or of course you could subscribe to NML direct and get the whole catalogue for $210 pa standard or $315 premium quality. Sort of too much for too much...

I'm one of the lucky (?) ones that can't tell the quality difference between CD and mp3. Others I gather are very much aware of it.

I am looking at IMSLP too - I think they are a great resource in general.

I downloaded Spotify yesterday to try out. Dunno. It seems handy but I don't know that I can use it the way I've come to like listening to specific pieces (sometimes over and over until they're firmly lodged in my brain-box).

But - it would be fine for general listening.

Plus - they seem to insist on shuffle. I don't understand the appeal of shuffle to begin with. I like a certain order - I don't want something else to randomise for me.  Who would?

I only use YouTube for a quick listen - for an overall view (what is this symphony I've never heard of before?) or for something more specific (ie. what is the 2nd bassoon part in measure 550 really supposed to sound like). I never actually use YouTube to listen to music for the sake of listening to music. Sound quality is generally awful - and I'm not even that fussy.

If we are going to play a symphony I ready like , I've been buying it...

I dunno...hard to switch over when I really don't want to but hard not to when it's become inconvenient...:angry:

Mostly CD but some vinyl, and some youtube videos for specific performances/performers or things I don't have at all.  Classical vinyl (used) seems like a bargain these days, but not many brick and mortar stores carry it. 

On 10/13/2018 at 1:22 PM, Rue said:

I never actually use YouTube to listen to music for the sake of listening to music. Sound quality is generally awful

I don't think so.  There's a lot more to this.  Mic choice and  placement, and mixing.  For one example the "Voices of Music" channel is really superb recording-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qItJ2Gs8Xfu6y_ERKNsxw

On 10/13/2018 at 6:22 PM, Rue said:

I never actually use YouTube to listen to music for the sake of listening to music. Sound quality is generally awful

In my experience youtube quality is pretty much the same as you'd get by ripping a CD to mp3 at a bit rate of 128 kb/s. And of course youtube files can be ripped using sites like peggo.tv.

I like to browse through my CD library then wander down to the workshop, turn on the lights, open the shutters, turn on the CD player and amp and off we go. 

Vinyl..... for pure listening pleasure.

CDs..... Next best, more convenient and also rip them onto my High Res PONO player for portable and in the car listening

YouTube... to watch and listen to particular performances

[ Also have a collection of concert and instructional DVDs]

Pandora..... To get introduced to new/unknown to me artists and music [ pick a particular artists "channel" and Pandora fills it out with "similar" artists/music.]

Note: my computer audio is "hooked up", through a DAC to a second good quality stereo system and full size speakers.

7 hours ago, matesic said:

In my experience youtube quality is pretty much the same as you'd get by ripping a CD to mp3 at a bit rate of 128 kb/s. And of course youtube files can be ripped using sites like peggo.tv.

8 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

I don't think so.  There's a lot more to this.  Mic choice and  placement, and mixing.  For one example the "Voices of Music" channel is really superb recording-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qItJ2Gs8Xfu6y_ERKNsxw

If you both say so I will believe you. ^_^

But I still won't be using it as my primary listening venue. :ph34r:

Thanks!  I will look it up!

I'm actually surprised that no one uses a iPod!  I still use mine ( my only Apple device), but don't know if I want another if my phone can 'do it all'...