Sign in to follow this  
liang7079

Modern bow makers suggestions

Hi all:

Hoping to have your valuable opinions and suggestions ... which ones of these makers would you suggest that make works that in general are lighter and flexible, full and solo sounding, and handles similar to Tourte and Persois?

Eric Fournier
Yannick le Canu
Pierre Yves Fuchs
Klaus Gruenke

Helge Netland

Edwin Clement

(Recently got a fantastic Noel Burke which fits the bill perfectly, hopefully able to have another after trying other makers works)

Thanks for your suggestions in advance! 

15 minutes ago, matesic said:

Guess nobody read the question...

Or possibly the point being made is that there's more possibilities than OP's short list. Frankly, any of the makers listed could deliver on a bow that meets the qualities wanted by the OP.

Not sure how valuable policing reading comprehension is to the discussion at hand.

19 minutes ago, matesic said:

What discussion?

These days it seems you shouldn't attempt irony without the aid of emoticons ;)

Emoticons certainly don't hurt. Sarcasm is notoriously difficult to detect in written form, of course. 

2 hours ago, matesic said:

Guess nobody read the question...

None of the bow makers that have been suggested, who's bows I have had in my hands(most) make bows that I would consider light or fleixible. Adn while I am sure than any one of them could and would if you commissioned one, light flexible bows are not what sell in the market today.

41 minutes ago, duane88 said:

None of the bow makers that have been suggested, who's bows I have had in my hands(most) make bows that I would consider light or fleixible. Adn while I am sure than any one of them could and would if you commissioned one, light flexible bows are not what sell in the market today.

Another vote here for Morgan Andersen.  My Andersen bow is light (59g) and flexible.  Not to mention exquisite in every way.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:57 PM, JacksonMaberry said:

Or possibly the point being made is that there's more possibilities than OP's short list. Frankly, any of the makers listed could deliver on a bow that meets the qualities wanted by the OP.

Not sure how valuable policing reading comprehension is to the discussion at hand.

Lol I am open to suggestions.

Yes the makers mentioned should be able to deliver something along the line , but would be better if it's his "natural" style.

On 10/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, duane88 said:

These days... Bigger halls with bad acoustic, almost everyone using hard, tense synthetic strings and having the "need" to play louder, faster, more aggressive, no wonder lighter more  flexible bows are not as in demand :(

Liang, My $0.02, If I was in your shoes, which I was last year when I bought a new bow, I told the maker what I (really my son) wanted to be able to do with the bow.  My son chose the bow that let him play ppp to FF without the sound breaking, and could easily play spiccato and sautillé.  The other trial bow from the same maker with my son's violin struggled with ppp and sautille.   By chance the bow that "worked" for him was a high density stick, i.e., nice and slim but weighed in at 62.7 g. The other stick was exactly 60.0 g., but the balance was good on both so you could only tell the weight by actually weighing them.

-Jim