barnesviolins

My latest scroll for critique.

To my amateur eye:

Overall looks nice. I like the double fluted design.   The pegbox is hogged out and cleaned up nicely. Something I never pay too much attention to myself. 

The last photo, the front face of the scroll,could use more recurve on the profile. Adds elegance. 

Also like, in the second photo, the sides and the chamfers on the sides, there is a noticeable bulge in the middle. You want to aim for a nice sort of, taper, from the nut to the throat of the side of the pegbox. This can still be corrected at this stage by taking meat off of the top edge of the pegbox, particularly in the middle. 

In the last photo, the chamfers of the eyes looks too steep to me. 

It is very bold. 

1. Why?

2. I tend to like things that are a bit different - but that scroll looks a bit clunky - for a violin. The concept might work for a cello though.

Hi Dorian

It looks nice, although if I'm allowed to be honest I'd make side volutes more oblique.

To explain what's on my mind look at attachement.

Regards

Jaroslaw

scroll.png

I'm not going to comment on the stylistic choices, because that's up to you to choose how you make it. But the craftsmanship is looking good. A bit rough though; I assume you're still going to run a scraper or files over it to finalize the shape?

9 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

I'm not going to comment on the stylistic choices, because that's up to you to choose how you make it.

Actually, that is what I am interested in getting feedback on.

Thanks

5 hours ago, barnesviolins said:

Actually, that is what I am interested in getting feedback on.

Thanks

Well.... It's not bad, but I'm not a fan. It looks like it's actually halfway through the stage of completion. It probably would look right once varnished and all but as it is looks like you started to cut the flutes and have to take the center bit off still.  ;) 

IMO there are two possible views on this design.

Just in terms of scroll carving design I would say, yes , well executed and individual. And most important you can't do it with a Chinese pre cut scroll.

The other view is from a historic perspective. Individual designs of great masters of the past didn't need such ornamentations because the design came from their individual method of carving the 'normal' design with a simple double fluting. Those models of Strad, Giarneri, Amati, Stainer etc. etc. live by their own expression with tool marks visible and the general approach cutting the scroll where you can see the character of the individual maker. 

Both approaches are aesthetically possible. Everyones own choice how to design the scroll. But I would hate to see with this scroll a classic design for the body of the instrument.

For the details I am not sure if an equal width for every fluting is most pleasing to the eye. It underlines the straightness and makes it a bit stiff. To give it more flow on the back I would suggest a pegbox design where the back is larger than the other side. Playing around with lines on a piece of paper I would do it more like this to have more elegance. (Just a suggestion with no copyright attached)

image.jpeg

I agree with Andreas, it makes the scroll look "heavy".

I also think it will make the instrument more difficult to sell.

Hi Andreas

Thank you for that.  That is the kind of thing I have been thinking about on the design.  I wen't into this by accident, not intention.  The scroll is already a stout, bold example and it does look heavy on the backside.  It also appears to get thinner in the recurve (even though it doesn't)  And I have contemplated the narrower outer flutes relative to the inner.

I appreciate your historical comparison as well. It is very reasonable.

To the question of "Why".  You know when you see a nice example of Eugenio Degani? You know in an instant it's Eugenio.  No question about it.  Nobody did what he did as well as he did it (IMHO).  I guess these days, in this age of amazing work being done by so many makers, it's hard to stand out.  I guess I'm still trying to find my "stand out" niche.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Dorian

I'm not a fan unfortunately, but I do admire the spirit of trying something different.

I have no idea how many you have made so far, and I understand the wish to stand out. For me, makers who do stand out from the crowd usually do so because they have a clear idea of how they want their work to be, and have developed the skills to work in a confident and efficient manner. By doing so, it creates their own style, and can stand out amongst others.

If the body is going to be just as unusual, this may work as a concept and hang together.
Seeing that you are using the vieuxtemp poster, I don't think this scroll will look right with that body.

What you’ve done here is not necessarily to my taste, but it would not keep me from buying the instrument. Keep it up though, Ann Cole doesn’t seem to have a problem selling her cellos.

32 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

What you’ve done here is not necessarily to my taste, but it would not keep me from buying the instrument. Keep it up though, Ann Cole doesn’t seem to have a problem selling her cellos.

She doesn't. And I admire her work. 

I heard someone saying that her necks are very thin. Is this true? My current viola build has a thin neck. Just the maple, not the maple plus ebony. I made the FB too thick. 

I'd like to know, because if an accomplished maker makes thin necked instruments, then it's reassuring to me that mine may not snap in half later on. 

I’ve played three of her cellos and I didn’t notice they were particularly thin, but I can’t comment on the strength of thinner necks. 

On October 14, 30 Heisei at 1:47 AM, barnesviolins said:

Hi Andreas

Thank you for that.  That is the kind of thing I have been thinking about on the design.  I wen't into this by accident, not intention.  The scroll is already a stout, bold example and it does look heavy on the backside.  It also appears to get thinner in the recurve (even though it doesn't)  And I have contemplated the narrower outer flutes relative to the inner.

I appreciate your historical comparison as well. It is very reasonable.

To the question of "Why".  You know when you see a nice example of Eugenio Degani? You know in an instant it's Eugenio.  No question about it.  Nobody did what he did as well as he did it (IMHO).  I guess these days, in this age of amazing work being done by so many makers, it's hard to stand out.  I guess I'm still trying to find my "stand out" niche.

Dorian

That's what I meant with 'both approaches are possible'. You need to find your individual way of doing things. Your design might be just the start of something to find a Degani like expression. Actually most of those modern Italian makers had a good sense for making their design individual and at the same time with a sense to make it look 'relaxed'. My suggestion was aiming in this direction. 

Good luck with it!

On 10/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, barnesviolins said:

Dorian

Fair enough! :)

Again, I like a little unique touch and I am sure you'll find your niche  - even if this scroll concept turns out not to be it.