Sign in to follow this  
MamaTorra

High-end Lutherie course in Bar Harbor, Maine - June 23-28, 2019

Master luthier Jonathan Cooper will be teaching a one-week lutherie class at the Acadia Trad Festival in Bar Harbor, Maine from June 23-28, 2019.

At his shop in Portland, Maine, Jon has made over 400 instruments in the last 40 years. His fiddles are played by many of the world’s best performers in trad music. In this one week workshop intensive, students will work together on a fiddle that will be completed in the white – no varnish. The workshop is appropriate for intermediate and advanced makers but can be a good beginning foundation as well for those interested. Students are welcome to bring an instrument they are working on and get guidance from Jon in working on their own instrument.

The class will cover an introduction to design and construction in all important aspects. There will be hands on demonstrations as well as access to an extensive personal library and direct examples of work from famous makers. Daily talks on varying subjects including history, maintenance, set up and sound production will be open to the camp at large as well.

Participants are encouraged to bring their own tools, however a limited number of  tools will be available for students who do not have all the necessary equipment. This class has a $40 lab fee payable when you arrive. NOTE: Only 6 slots are available for this course. Register early to guarantee your space!

---

The Acadia Trad Festival, to be held June 23-28, 2019, is a week of classes, workshops, concerts, community dances and music sessions held at the College of the Atlantic campus on the shores of Frenchman Bay in Bar Harbor, Maine. The 2019 Acadia Trad Festival will focus on Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton, Acadian, and Québecois music and dance styles, and boasts a world-class faculty. Major classes are offered in fiddle, songs & accompaniment, bodhran, guitar, harp, cello, flute, whistle, accordion, dance, and fiddle-making. Additional instruments and genres are offered as afternoon workshops. For more information, and to register or purchase concert tickets, please visit https://acadiatradschool.org.

Cooper.jpg

Sounds like a great workshop.  Jon appears to be the Stradivarius of fiddle makers, with many of the big-name fiddlers using his instruments.  And Jon is very open with everything he does.  I called him up a few weeks ago to get some pointers on fiddlemaking, as I have a couple of commissions from fiddlers.  And even more recently I attended a concert with Alex Hargreaves playing a Cooper fiddle, and he allowed me to look it over after the concert (excellent workmanship).

It is doubtful I would get to this workshop, but it is also pretty high on the list of things I'd like to go to.

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

Sounds like a great workshop.  Jon appears to be the Stradivarius of fiddle makers, with many of the big-name fiddlers using his instruments.  And Jon is very open with everything he does.  I called him up a few weeks ago to get some pointers on fiddlemaking, as I have a couple of commissions from fiddlers.  And even more recently I attended a concert with Alex Hargreaves playing a Cooper fiddle, and he allowed me to look it over after the concert (excellent workmanship).

It is doubtful I would get to this workshop, but it is also pretty high on the list of things I'd like to go to.

I've been there twice now. It's an excellent experience to be making violins and to be around music all day. 

I will say that the workshop is pretty impromptu in some aspects in my experience. But I've benefited immensely nonetheless. 

I've learned a lot from Jon so far. Real easy to talk to and is always willing to share knowledge. 

We made a GDG last time I was there. Turned out to sound really nice in my opinion. 

To be around tons of amazing players is a great thing. It's not hard to get a variety of opinions on your violins.

I also have to say that making violins on the shore of Frenchman Bay among the music is really a serene experience.