Thoughts on this interesting violin? n

The fittings are old English fittings, probably made of holly. I see these pegs a lot on in England. Scratched in purfling is typical for some simpler 19th century English instruments.

The scratch marks may have been done  by a kid who was bored by practicing :).

9 hours ago, uguntde said:

The fittings are old English fittings, probably made of holly. I see these pegs a lot on in England. Scratched in purfling is typical for some simpler 19th century English instruments.

The scratch marks may have been done  by a kid who was bored by practicing :).

Thanks. I hope to win the auction as find its folky charm very appealing.

I am unable to tell if the OP violin has „sratched on“ purfling from the photos or not. I think you will find that painted on, not scratched on, purfling was common amongst cheap 18th C, English violins, not 19th.C ones. In the 19th.C, after the end of the Continental Blocade, the English violin wholesalers largely bought the cheap violins from Germany, and the making of budget violins in England more or less died out.

20 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I am unable to tell if the OP violin has „sratched on“ purfling from the photos or not. I think you will find that painted on, not scratched on, purfling was common amongst cheap 18th C, English violins, not 19th.C ones. In the 19th.C, after the end of the Continental Blocade, the English violin wholesalers largely bought the cheap violins from Germany, and the making of budget violins in England more or less died out.

Def scratched on

On my screen it looks like the typical shellac varnish coming off from the dark stripes of real purfling - often seen at Mnk/Schb trade violins from the 2nd half of the 19. OTOH, the "decoration" is scratched, in such a precise way that it surely wasn't the work of a bored kid.

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The purfling beneath  the button certainly doesn't look "Def" scrarched on

Deffo. Only the decorative purfling or lines are scratched on. As stated I find it rather charming in a folk art kind of way. I also suspect that it might be a half decent violin once it is set up. No cracks or any visual issues. It does have fitted bridge which was in the case so pretty much good to go.

Edited by Byrdbop