Sign in to follow this  
Egidio Santos

Mittenwald Template/Pattern

I know it's a long shot but... Does anybody have (and is willing to share) a Klotz violin pattern (top/back/scroll/arching)?
I've managed to get something out of photos but it's hard to tell how accurate since i don't have access to those instruments..

Anything?

Violins of the Klotz family can be excellent, but are essentially more or less faithful executions of a Stainer model. Push comes to shove, you could start with the various and sundry available Stainer resources and add in some Klotz flavor by eye. 

23 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Violins of the Klotz family can be excellent, but are essentially more or less faithful executions of a Stainer model. Push comes to shove, you could start with the various and sundry available Stainer resources and add in some Klotz flavor by eye. 

I agree with this. 

56 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

That's a really good point, thanks!

9 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

The original 'baroque' 1679 is well documented with Roger Hargrave article in the public domain and a Strad poster available.

Only thing that makes me a little reluctant is the relatively small size of this instrument. It measures 352 over the arch, which is probably about 350 calliper if that.

Is there another Stainer violin a little larger that is documented sufficiently to make templates? Is anything known about Stainer's mould(s)?

The Hargrave article are invaluable, as are the technical drawings from the NMM Stainer violin. 

I don't share your reluctance - instruments of that size can be very capable. Some of Stainers violins are a bit bigger. It would be nice to know how long the one that led the LSO for over a decade was. 

In any case, studying the available resources, and hopefully an original or two in person, with a view to internalizing the architecture and design philosophy should allow you to make a very good violin of any size.

3 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

The Hargrave article are invaluable, as are the technical drawings from the NMM Stainer violin. 

I don't share your reluctance - instruments of that size can be very capable. Some of Stainers violins are a bit bigger. It would be nice to know how long the one that led the LSO for over a decade was. 

In any case, studying the available resources, and hopefully an original or two in person, with a view to internalizing the architecture and design philosophy should allow you to make a very good violin of any size.

Regarding sizes I just mind the common perception of acceptable sizes that's all. Doesn't matter what I personally think or if small instruments are can be quite capable.

I know Stainer made some instruments a little larger and close to 355 so why take a template where it is predicable that players will have reservations (justified or not)?

The NMM drawings look great but $100 for a PDF file will have me try other avenues before I swallow that pill. Anyone know the LOB of that one?

Personally, I do not use templates. I prefer the flexibility that a straight edge and dividers affords. The same rules govern Stainers larger and smaller violins - if you really understand the rules you can play the game at whatever LoB you desire (obviously, within reason). 

If you would prefer free resources, take a look at the outlines that Addie provided. They can be found here or on Peter K-G's site. You will have to shell out for at least the Strad poster if you want any idea of the arching and grad scheme, but I hope you'll consider the NMM document. More samples makes for a better model.